DVLA - sending old driving licence and receiving new one

Options
Boesewicht
Boesewicht Posts: 12 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 30 April at 2:06PM in Motoring
I hold a German driving licence and am about to exchange it for a UK one. For this, I have to send my old German licence to the DVLA where it will be destroyed.
However, I am worried about the reliability of Royal Mail those days and wonder if I should send my application and German licence with Signed and Delivered.
Likewise, how will they send the new licence to me? 1st or 2nd class ? Or would you advise me to include a self-addressed envelop with Signed and Delivered to be sure it does not get lost in the mail.
Thank you for you feedback.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Signed & delivered will not stop it getting lost.

Companies like DVLA do not sign for mail, that is done by RM as delivery office.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
     I would suggest photocopying everything, then using 1st class post with proof of posting (free at a post office).

Don't worry about the new one going adrift.  In the unlikely event that it does, they'll send a replacement.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had to do a paper (UK) application last month.  Sent 1st class with POP.  Received new licence 2 weeks to the day after I posed it, processed Fri received Mon, and the other documents arrived back a week later 2nd class.  I photocopied everything before sending.
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My wife and I have both just renewed our licenses at the post office, obviously these were uk licenses so I’m not sure how it would apply to the op, they did everything, took the photo and even destroyed our old licences, I would try at your local post office and see if it can be done there…
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually forgot to send my old license back. Don't think they care. When you say you 'have' to send your old German license back , does it say before you get your new license?
  • Boesewicht
    Boesewicht Posts: 12 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I usually forgot to send my old license back. Don't think they care. When you say you 'have' to send your old German license back , does it say before you get your new license?
    Yes the instruction leaflet is pretty clear:
    << if you exchange your non UK-licence you must send us your current one, we cannot return it to you.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was really a before or after question - having never surrendered a foreign license, I don't know if they require you to send it before they'll issue a UK one, or if you can do it afterwards. If it it's the latter, they won't send the boys in blue round if you forget. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback