Cheque rejected by Bank despite the cheque from another bank

Options
I have a cheque from Lloyds being a share dividend which I tried to pay into my TSB account but was rejected because it was dated over 6 months ago. As far as I was aware a cheque written by a Bank could not be rejected by another Bank as funds are guaranteed between Banks despite the date on the cheque being greater than 6 months ago. I was told by TSB the rejection was policy for all cheques dated over 6 months ago, however, their policy does not take into consideration who the cheque is from. Is there policy missing Bank to Bank guarantees?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,013 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Think you may be thinking of bank drafts which is where the bank itself guarantees the monies rather than the account holder (which could be part of the banking group too anyway) and they dont have an expiry date. They aren't just a cheque drawn on the banks own account though in presentation. 
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Irrelevant just get a new cheque issued
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    DropZone said:
    I have a cheque from Lloyds being a share dividend which I tried to pay into my TSB account but was rejected because it was dated over 6 months ago. As far as I was aware a cheque written by a Bank could not be rejected by another Bank as funds are guaranteed between Banks despite the date on the cheque being greater than 6 months ago. I was told by TSB the rejection was policy for all cheques dated over 6 months ago, however, their policy does not take into consideration who the cheque is from. Is there policy missing Bank to Bank guarantees?
    If it's a share dividend this won't be a cheque from Lloyds but rather from its share registrar, Equiniti.

Call Equiniti to have it reissued or better still give it your account number and have it and all future dividends transferred electronically.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried depositing it through an ATM rather than via bank counter?  Or even via the post office?  Automated systems are less likely to be bothered by the date.  And as far as I'm aware the idea of 6 months making a cheque stale dated is a fallacy.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Brie said:
    Have you tried depositing it through an ATM rather than via bank counter?  Or even via the post office?  Automated systems are less likely to be bothered by the date.  And as far as I'm aware the idea of 6 months making a cheque stale dated is a fallacy.  
    Technically cheques don't expire but for many decades it's been industry practice to refuse to process cheques older than six months.
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have certainly had cheques refused after 6 months. Was only a small one, but had been mislaid. 
    I don’t think it’s a fallacy at all. 
    Luckily these days I can deposit a cheque into my Monzo Account using the app. 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.comparethemarket.com/current-accounts/content/how-long-are-cheques-valid-for/

How long are cheques valid for?

Technically speaking, cheques don’t have an expiry date. But, in practice, banks will usually reject a cheque if you try to pay it in or cash it more than six months from the date of issue – that’s the date written on the cheque. If you’ve forgotten about a cheque and it’s more than six months old, the best thing to do is ask the person who gave it to you to write another.

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Standard practice is for many organisations to place a "stop" on uncleared cheques once they reach 6 months old. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback