PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Question on replacement main home

Options
Hello, I live in a flat on a crumbling cliff - at some point it will be uninhabitable and it won't be possible to sell it so I am looking to buy a second property to become my main home. I am assuming that because it's a second home I will still have to pay stamp duty despite the circumstances as I need to buy before it disappears. Is there any way round this? 

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe you have up to 3 years to 'sell' your old home in which you can reclaim the SDLT. You do have to pay it first though. Is there any insurance company involved who could assist?
  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello, I live in a flat on a crumbling cliff - at some point it will be uninhabitable and it won't be possible to sell it so I am looking to buy a second property to become my main home. I am assuming that because it's a second home I will still have to pay stamp duty despite the circumstances as I need to buy before it disappears. Is there any way round this? 
    For the higher rate of SDLT to apply on the purchase 4 conditions need to be met. If the value of your current home is effectively zero then I don’t think you’ll meet condition C, therefore the higher rate of SDLT would not be due. 

Condition C - the purchaser owns a major interest (with a market value of £40,000 or more) in another dwelling which is not subject to a lease which has more than 21 years to run at the date of purchase of the new dwelling. 

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,314 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

at some point it will be uninhabitable and it won't be possible to sell it
    When is that likely to be? Presumably it isn't unsellable at the moment (even if the market would be limited)?

What is the exit plan, as you'd still have a (presumably leasehold) interest in the airspace even if the building disappears? Surrending your lease to the freeholder would also be "disposal" for SDLT purposes.
  • FaceAche62
    FaceAche62 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I own a share of the freehold. It's hard to predict when the flat will become uninhabitable. Hopefully not in the next 10 years but could be in 15. There's no insurance against cliff erosion. It isn't unsellable at the moment but I would like to stay in the flat as long as possible but I am 62 and need to ensure I have a plan B as wouldn't want to deal with being homeless in my 70s or 80s.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,314 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rules may of course all be quite different by that time.
  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I own a share of the freehold. It's hard to predict when the flat will become uninhabitable. Hopefully not in the next 10 years but could be in 15. There's no insurance against cliff erosion. It isn't unsellable at the moment but I would like to stay in the flat as long as possible but I am 62 and need to ensure I have a plan B as wouldn't want to deal with being homeless in my 70s or 80s.
    You say it’s not unsellable at the moment but I’d be surprised if anyone could get a mortgage to buy it leaving you with cash buyers only. I guess you could get lucky with some unsuspecting Homes Under the Hammer novice buyer. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback