Smart meter taken by previous tenant and on “smart prepayment”

Options
MissMollyJones
MissMollyJones Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I moved into my house about 18 months ago and the previous tenant had taken the smart meter with them (or a previous tenant - I don’t know who).  It is a prepayment smart meter with EDF. 

I contacted EDF for a replacement smart meter and they refused to send one out and said I didn’t need it? How are the meters sending accurate readings without a smart meter if I’m on smart meter repayment? 

Many thanks for your help

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 April at 7:08AM
    Options
    If the former tenant took the smart meter you would be in a very difficult situation with no supply.

I think you mean the I'm house device. You don't need this

If you want a meter reading read the actual meter. It's more accurate. You can top up online / via app if you're prepayment.

You'll probably see your usage there too.

Just make sure you've registered your own account and have your own cards
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning @MissMollyJones :-)

So just to explain that last post a bit further....

The smart meter itself is the bit of the system that replaces the old-fashioned meter. It will either be in a box that's accessible from outside the house or close to your consumer unit (commonly called a fuse box). 

The bit you're referring to is the In House Display (or IHD) which is a portable easy to read display. This connects wirelessly to the meter and can be put anywhere in the house you want as long as it's close enough to pick up the signal.

The smart meter sends the meter readings to the supplier as well as the IHD so you don't need an IHD for the smart meter to work.

Where the IHD gets lost or broken, the suppliers don't normally replace them, although some suppliers allow you to buy a replacement. The IHD is linked to the smart meter so you can't use one off eBay or someone else's. 

Hope this makes sense, but if not just ask...
  • MissMollyJones
    MissMollyJones Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 April at 7:27AM
    Options
    Oh thank you - that is really helpful :)

I have of course been on the app and paying regularly but I’ve just logged on to the app and it’s showing a 0.00 balance on both which I know is incorrect so I had a panic
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, if they had taken the smart meter, you would have no electricity. The display that people have is not the smart meter, it is just a display, the smart meter itself supplies the reading.

Most providers do not replace them if they are more than 12 months old.

You can use your smart phone / tablet as a replacement if you want to see the information. One such app which is free is the Bright app which you will be able to install from your phones app store.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are on Pay as you go (PAYG) then you should really have an in house display (IHD) unless it’s a SMETS1 which energy suppliers no longer have stocks of.  
    I would contact EDF again and just explain the previous tenant took it with them and although you can monitor your usage online, having an IHD would make things easier and hopefully they should send one out to you 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It does sound like you have some sort of problem there, but not having an IHD isn’t what is causing it. You should I think be able to get your credit level displayed on the actual meter itself too though - by a button-push sequence if it’s not on the first screen - how does that compare with what the app is telling you? (Google will be your friend for the button press sequence for your particular brand of meter). 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    .....so again just to explain if you're still getting your head around this....

If you're on a prepayment / PAYG tariff and you have an In House Display (IHD), you can use the IHD to top up your account instead of the app which is more convenient for some people who aren't confident in using, or don't have, a mobile phone.

However you do it, what you're doing is the modern day equivalent of putting 50p in the meter, and the smart meter itself will have a record of how much you've got left of whatever you put into it. Unfortunately the smart meter displays are all different so you need to find the instructions for your specific meter to work out which buttons to press.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you find the meter, if you get stuck on working out what  it is showing and how it works, post a picture on here and people will help. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I moved into my house about 18 months ago and the previous tenant had taken the smart meter with them (or a previous tenant - I don’t know who).  It is a prepayment smart meter with EDF. 
    Try raising with the Landlord. Unless the smart meter was installed during thecpreceding tenancy, the absence of the display unit (IHD) should have been picked up by their e d of tenancy inspection/inventory.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback