Company Director Using My Address as His Correspondence Address

Options
My ex-husband moved out of my home five years ago. I have continuously told him to remove my address as his correspondence address from companies house and get his address listed, but he has ignored all requests.

This is his personal correspondence address and not the company registered address. Is there anything I can do?

He recently joined a new ltd company and added my address as the home address and not his.

We are not on good terms so this is not something that he can mistake as okay with.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/report-a-company-using-your-personal-details-without-your-permission#applying-to-remove-address-details

From previous threads on here, they’re not the quickest for doing something about it.
    Are you getting any post for him sent to you? Because if so, I’d be tempted to just bin it and if he misses something important that his problem not yours.

To anyone popping up to say it’s illegal to mess with someone else’s post, my answer would be “prove it.”
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 April at 8:10AM
    Options
    My ex-husband moved out of my home five years ago. I have continuously told him to remove my address as his correspondence address from companies house and get his address listed, but he has ignored all requests.

This is his personal correspondence address and not the company registered address. Is there anything I can do?

He recently joined a new ltd company and added my address as the home address and not his.

We are not on good terms so this is not something that he can mistake as okay with.
     Stick them back in the postbox with return to sender written on 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    file under wpb

or just leave in a pile until he notices something is missing 
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Return them with not at this address written on them.  
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

I don't agree with what your ex-husband is doing, but has he just moved out of the marital home (albeit 5 years back), or have you progressed along the finalisation path?  
    I can see that it might make a difference (both in your ex-husband's mind and legally) as to whether the divorce is concluded and you have a "clean-break" agreement (or not) as opposed to the ex-husband having moved out but still having interests in the marital home.  (Whether there are children from the marriage might also influence the ex-husband's interest in the marital home.)

If the marriage (divorce) is fully concluded, then the ex-husband is just another person and the simple "not at this address and back in the post box" plus "report as suggested by @elsien " seems appropriate to me.
    If the ex-husband still has some interest in the marital home, then a softer approach might be required.

I assumed the OP remains in the former marital home.  If the OP is living in a different property that was never the ex-husband's home, then no softness required.
  • MakingLifeMine
    MakingLifeMine Posts: 60 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I don't agree with what your ex-husband is doing, but has he just moved out of the marital home (albeit 5 years back), or have you progressed along the finalisation path?  
    I can see that it might make a difference (both in your ex-husband's mind and legally) as to whether the divorce is concluded and you have a "clean-break" agreement (or not) as opposed to the ex-husband having moved out but still having interests in the marital home.  (Whether there are children from the marriage might also influence the ex-husband's interest in the marital home.)

If the marriage (divorce) is fully concluded, then the ex-husband is just another person and the simple "not at this address and back in the post box" plus "report as suggested by @elsien " seems appropriate to me.
    If the ex-husband still has some interest in the marital home, then a softer approach might be required.

I assumed the OP remains in the former marital home.  If the OP is living in a different property that was never the ex-husband's home, then no softness required.
    He moved out Jan 2019 with no interested in the property. He has kept anything to do with companies coming here but everything else has been moved to his new address. 

I will return to sender, file the report as requested, and then call it a day.

Thank you so much for your input all.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Others will comment on the wisdom or otherwise of this, but for the 'new' limited company, it should be possible to get the names and addresses of any other directors, and the company secretary if there is one. I would be tempted to write individually to each of them, advising them that Mr Ex has not lived at the address he has given since 2019, and you will be marking all future correspondence as RTS. 

If it's just him as a company director on this or any other company, one final message to him to state that this is how you are dealing with all future correspondence addressed to him, and then do it, for a brief period at least. Given how long it takes for post to be forwarded in this way - what with you taking a month to do anything with it, and Royal Mail taking a further indefinite period to pass it on - you might find his post gets lost without ever being RTS. Eventually he'll miss something! 

As elsien says, Companies House are not speedy in dealing with this - You and Yours on Radio 4 have run a story about companies being registered to addresses with which there is absolutely no connection whatsoever! I just wonder if they'd like to run a story on your case, where someone you KNOW is wrongly using your address ... 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MakingLifeMine
    MakingLifeMine Posts: 60 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
     You and Yours on Radio 4 have run a story about companies being registered to addresses with which there is absolutely no connection whatsoever! I just wonder if they'd like to run a story on your case, where someone you KNOW is wrongly using your address ... 
    Sadly, the other director is his best friend and is likely very aware of what he is doing, so I know sending a message to him will very likely get ignored.

He is not a very nice man, so unless it's anonymous, any attempt to publicly discuss any issues I have with him will have long-term consequences for me.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
     You and Yours on Radio 4 have run a story about companies being registered to addresses with which there is absolutely no connection whatsoever! I just wonder if they'd like to run a story on your case, where someone you KNOW is wrongly using your address ... 
    Sadly, the other director is his best friend and is likely very aware of what he is doing, so I know sending a message to him will very likely get ignored.

He is not a very nice man, so unless it's anonymous, any attempt to publicly discuss any issues I have with him will have long-term consequences for me.
    Interesting. I don't know what information you're able to give Companies House, but if you can make them aware that t'other director is aware that the wrong address has been given...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure