How long does it take to receive first child benefit payment?

Options
My baby is 15 weeks old, we had a long hospital stay so I only applied for child benefit (online) 2 weeks ago, they only backdate it 3 months but I believe the clock starts the day the birth is registered, not the birthdate? Is that right?

I got a text from HMRC confirming they’d received my application, and today I loggedin online and saw I had been approved and had a proof of entitlement, and I checked all bank details etc are correct.

But how long does it take to receive the first payment? How long did yours take? I googled it and citizens advise said first payment could be as quick as 3 days? Also how often is it paid? Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It will be paid as a BACS payment, which takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank once payment is made. CB is usually paid every 4 weeks on a Monday. 
  • mark_cycling00
    mark_cycling00 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it's backdated up to child's birth. But you are advised to apply after registration of child so that an official record exists that has birth date etc.

Also there's something stupid like if you're child is born on Tuesday you don't get any cash for the first 6 days of life. 

Paid every 4 weeks not monthly  

That's my understanding. Hope others can help too
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    I don’t know about child benefit but just wanted to say congratulations and I hope you’re both well now!
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Child benefit can be paid on a Monday or Tuesday.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills