Montenegro

Options
Hi, we (myself and OH) are thinking of taking a weeks holiday in Montenegro in June.  Can anyone recommend any particular areas to stay?  Want to be near a beach but also do some sightseeing.  Have been looking at Kotor, is it worth staying there or just doing a day trip?  Any suggestions gratefully received.  Not got a huge budget!

Comments

• Bicycleman22
    Bicycleman22 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my opinion Montenegro is not a great beach holiday place but a truly amazing place for the mountains. Most of the towns  / beach places along the coast are very busy in high summer, I am not sure about June though. Kotor is so beautiful but gets crowded when the cruise boats arrive, a bit like but not as bad as Dubrovnik. Lovcen national park and Durmitor are not to be missed if you do get there.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Back in 1989 when it was still Yugoslavia ( but not for much longer), I spent a week in Budva and enjoyed it. A couple of beaches and an old town to explore.  Not far to Dubrovnik.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I think the best beaches are between Budva and Petrovac. Budva is probably a good central location if you want to visit other places on day trips. Kotor is stunning but does get overcrowded with cruise ships, when we were there in May there were a couple in a day but told in the summer they get 6 ships in a day!

I liked Bar and it was reasonably cheap, they get a lot of Polish tourists, we had quite a few people try to start conversations in Polish with us  :D Easy to get to Virpazar by train or bus for boat trips on lake Skadar, or to Ulcinj which is very Albanian (near the border). 

There's a lot of historic old towns (stari grad) near most towns eg Budva, Bar, Kotor which are worth visiting if you like that sort of thing. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,070 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    HfP has a review today of a hotel in Montenegro. https://www.headforpoints.com/2024/04/29/review-hyatt-regency-kotor-bay-montenegro/ Read the comments for others suggestions on hotels, HfP tens to be top end in hotel recommendations.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    silvercar said:
    HfP has a review today of a hotel in Montenegro. https://www.headforpoints.com/2024/04/29/review-hyatt-regency-kotor-bay-montenegro/ Read the comments for others suggestions on hotels, HfP tens to be top end in hotel recommendations.

Hyatt in Montenegro is about as expensive as it gets. We rented a privately managed studio for 4 nights  (via booking.com) for the price of one night in Hyatt. 
    By the way, most cash machines in Montenegro charge fees for cash withdrawal from foreign cards. However, we were able to find a cash machine in a Hilton that was fee-free.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You might want to watch episode 6 of Channel 4's series Joe & Katherine's bargain holidays as they go to Montenegro.
    The pair of so-called comedians are... pretty rubbish..... but they might have ideas you can use. You can watch this on Channel 4 on demand on the computer- not sure if this programme has aired on TV yet.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Angelica123
    Angelica123 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Montenegro is lovely. Kotor is probably the most popular place that people visit - just be aware that as it is small, it can be crowded on days when the cruise ships are there so if you can time it to not be there on cruise ship days! Plenty of places you can do as day trips from Kotor. Durmitor National Park is lovely. 

While many places in touristy areas will accept card, many will only accept cash. Card machines will charge a fee (usually 4.99 euros) so definitely useful to bring some Euros with you (or pounds in cash to convert). 

It's not as cheap as you would imagine. Many people rent a car (although bear in mind that cars can not drive into any of the old towns, parking can sometimes be an issue). Guest house/Air BNB options are often more widely available than hotels (and cheaper too). 
  • bluennoclue
    bluennoclue Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Herceg Novi is also beautiful and worth considering. Generally, the combination of the mountains and the sea in Montenegro is something else. Wild beauty, as people say. The prices might be higher than you expect though. There are many hidden gems worth exploring if you rent a car but the traffic can get crazy. The Bay of Kotor and Kotor old town should definitely be visited at least for a day trip. You can take a bus from Herceg Novi (there are many every day) and organize your own trip. 
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have visited Kotor from one of those cruise ships (except we were small enough to dock! rather than moor out in the bay)
    Bought an excursion off the ship and we drove up all the hairpin bends to the top of the mountain. It was a beautiful day and the views from the top were absolutely stunning.
     Also lovely to cruise up the fjord to the town so a boat trip would be a great idea to experience the scenery.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have visited Kotor from one of those cruise ships (except we were small enough to dock! rather than moor out in the bay)
    Bought an excursion off the ship and we drove up all the hairpin bends to the top of the mountain. It was a beautiful day and the views from the top were absolutely stunning.
     Also lovely to cruise up the fjord to the town so a boat trip would be a great idea to experience the scenery.
    Me too. On a small cruise ship I mean. We organised our own transport around the bay to Perast & spent the day there as it was so beautiful. Great food right on the waters edge & friendly locals. We then did a short guided walking tour around town, just the 2of us. Guide was a young mum on her 1st day back at work after having her 1st baby.  Happy memories. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback