Alternative to Sky

Options
morg007
morg007 Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Its that time of the year (well 18 months) when  I have to negotiate with sky for a new better deal.  Thing is, after today I'm really losing the will to live and haven't got the energy to play the game to get the better deal.  note I'm autistic so phone calls aren't my comfort zone and they're even harder as we transfer to the "automated system" they use now!

I'm with Sky Q but open to sky stream as we wouldn't lose any channels not included that we use and mainly watch on demand anyway.  Only worry would be if we had a repeat of a townwide internet outage we had in January after a fire broke out at the exchange and cut of 10s of thousands of us for a few hours, there would be no satelite dish to bail us out.  But, it was only a few hours and we've got plenty of blu-ray to watch etc

But, I then wonder if sky have just simply got worst as I used to be able to get better deals. and be happy to stay.  Not sure if this is a lack of competition as I'm sure they will know which customers can't get virgin media from their addresses.  EETV (what used to be BTTV) appear to only be available as a package with the broadband (stand to be corrected but I couldn't get anything without taking up a broadband deal too and I'm tied to a contract ironically with Sky (who won't entertain combining the two)).

So the only alternative is Now TV.  Which if I'm honest works for us.  But do others have it and how does it compare to sky?  Will I get frustrated?  This would also mean getting Netflix direct from them, but I also like the idea of no contracts so I can switch about.  Been triaging my streamers (we're heavy users so have a few on the go) and my rule is always - can I justify it.  So if I find I've not really used one in a month or two - it goes.  And having sky channels via Now appeals to me because I can dip in and dip out of their packages etc. But I'm concerned there are issues I don't know about that would annoy me because I'm used to recording stuff via sky?  But then I suppose its the same as Netflix or Prime or Disney that I use.  

I suppose the crux of my internal debate is Sky sh*tty customer service Vs Now TV being seen a downgrade or not.

Oh, if you do have Now TV, can you cancel online so I don't have to deal with people on the phone?!!

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 April at 4:25PM
    Options
    Yes - you can cancel Now TV online, no need to speak to anyone.   It's flexible, as you say - one month rolling contracts.   You often get offers, generally, and specifically as part of the cancellation process.

I'm currently on 3 month Now Cinema for £1pm, and that came with 1 month free Boost.   When the Boost went to full price, I went to cancel and they gave me 3 months for £2pm.

You will probably want Boost for HD/no ads.   The thing to watch out for with them generally is that they try to get you on offers with mismatched end dates, which is a bit annoying, but you can always cancel and start again.   They have programmed their systems so that a Boost subscription automatically cancels if you have no valid content subscriptions, which is fair.
  • morg007
    Options
    Yes - you can cancel Now TV online, no need to speak to anyone.   It's flexible, as you say - one month rolling contracts.   You often get offers, generally, and specifically as part of the cancellation process.

I'm currently on 3 month Now Cinema for £1pm, and that came with 1 month free Boost.   When the Boost went to full price, I went to cancel and they gave me 3 months for £2pm.

You will probably want Boost for HD/no ads.   The thing to watch out for with them generally is that they try to get you on offers with mismatched end dates, which is a bit annoying, but you can always cancel and start again.   They have programmed their systems so that a Boost subscription automatically cancels if you have no valid content subscriptions, which is fair.
    thanks.  Just cancelled sky (well gave 30 day notice).  They of course tried to ask to look at what they could do, but honestly, I'm beyond the "deal" stage  - just want to have flexibility. 
  • ididgetwhereiamtoday
    Options
    Alternative to Sky? 
    Get out into nature!
  • morg007
    Options
    Alternative to Sky? 
    Get out into nature!
    Thanks for the feedback/advice.  But, as a keen runner who runs between 50-60 miles per week round the countryside surrounding the village I live in, whilst training for various league races with my club and marathons, I'm spending plenty of time in nature.
  • HaroldWhistler
    HaroldWhistler Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    morg007 said:
    Its that time of the year (well 18 months) when  I have to negotiate with sky for a new better deal.  Thing is, after today I'm really losing the will to live and haven't got the energy to play the game to get the better deal.  note I'm autistic so phone calls aren't my comfort zone and they're even harder as we transfer to the "automated system" they use now!

I'm with Sky Q but open to sky stream as we wouldn't lose any channels not included that we use and mainly watch on demand anyway.  Only worry would be if we had a repeat of a townwide internet outage we had in January after a fire broke out at the exchange and cut of 10s of thousands of us for a few hours, there would be no satelite dish to bail us out.  But, it was only a few hours and we've got plenty of blu-ray to watch etc

But, I then wonder if sky have just simply got worst as I used to be able to get better deals. and be happy to stay.  Not sure if this is a lack of competition as I'm sure they will know which customers can't get virgin media from their addresses.  EETV (what used to be BTTV) appear to only be available as a package with the broadband (stand to be corrected but I couldn't get anything without taking up a broadband deal too and I'm tied to a contract ironically with Sky (who won't entertain combining the two)).

So the only alternative is Now TV.  Which if I'm honest works for us.  But do others have it and how does it compare to sky?  Will I get frustrated?  This would also mean getting Netflix direct from them, but I also like the idea of no contracts so I can switch about.  Been triaging my streamers (we're heavy users so have a few on the go) and my rule is always - can I justify it.  So if I find I've not really used one in a month or two - it goes.  And having sky channels via Now appeals to me because I can dip in and dip out of their packages etc. But I'm concerned there are issues I don't know about that would annoy me because I'm used to recording stuff via sky?  But then I suppose its the same as Netflix or Prime or Disney that I use.  

I suppose the crux of my internal debate is Sky sh*tty customer service Vs Now TV being seen a downgrade or not.

Oh, if you do have Now TV, can you cancel online so I don't have to deal with people on the phone?!!

This might be an option:

1. Cancel the Sky TV package which is out of contract.
    2. Buy an Apple TV 4K box (one off cost). If you need a TV guide, get the TV Launcher app from the Apple Store (optional one off cost).
    3. You can use the Apple TV 4K to watch virtually all of the Freeview channels via the Internet. Either launch from the TV Launcher app (which opens the relevant feed or App for you) or manually go the respective App and select.
    4. The Apple TV 4K is really fast so it feels very smooth to use. You can also use the voice function to open a channel, or App quickly. E.g. "BBC Two Live" results in the Voice assistant opening the BBC Two channel feed. 
    5. Subscribe at will on rolling contracts to any Streaming service you want to as and when. E.g. NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Paramount etc.

Alternatively, you could look at an Amazon Firestick 4K.

6. When the Sky Broadband contract comes to an end, change broadband provider. Check to see if Full Fibre services are available in your area.
    7. Consider a backup 4G Mobile Unlimited Data SIM from anyone with a strong signal in your area as a backup internet option in the mean time. This can be placed in a Mifi device (one off cost) to provide Wifi access for devices (phones, computers, TVs, Smart TV sticks, tablets etc).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback