Best thing to do

Options
Currently applying for mortgage and noticed I have an entry on my file for Shell Energy, o/s balance of £183, says started 2014 with same starting balance. It’s all marked as up to date showing US on Experian and U on TransUnion, doesnt show on Equifax. Now I don’t recall using shell energy and I’ve def not had any letters or correspondence from them. 
Currently it says it’s not affecting my credit score etc as not showing a default or late payment, I have a DIP but going to full app now and will manually be underwritten so now I’m stressing that it’s going to cause a problem for me.  I think the current balance being the same as starting 10 years ago could be an issue. Mortgage broker has seen it and didn’t mention anything. Checked Experian a number of times for what those markers mean and it def says it’s not a negative marker. I have another for very which is showing the same marker but zero balance. 

I was going to write to them to query what it is and if necessary pay it however I’m worried if I make contact they could slap a default or something on when now it’s going down as not reporting anything. So could make it worse. 

What’s the best thing to do? Since I’m doing full app this week even if I pay or get it removed now it won’t update in time. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,427 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's from 2014 it's likely statute barred by now so I'd not worry about it.  It's only £183 and you can't do anything about it in any case.  Should the mortgage company ask just say what you said here, no idea why it's there as you've never used Shell.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Christologymum_2
    Options
    Okay I’ll sit tight then and once mortgage application done I’ll write to them and tell them to remove from my credit file as over 6 years and try and get it removed otherwise it could just sit there forever 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback