Phone use/roaming

Options
Hi,

Another travel related topic from me on a different topic.

I have a Vodafone pay monthly phone with roaming included.

My question is how this works.   If I call a or send a text number local to my location (in the US) I will just need to use the local format, as if I was dialling from a U.S. phone?   To call or text a UK number this would be tested as an international call? 

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As I understand the procedure over there, when you make a call out of state in America the network you are using will look for the nearest network in the neighbouring state(s) to relay it - so it may pass to its destination on more than one different network.
    I think all numbers, landline and mobile are 10 digits, the first 3 of which is the area code - I reckon you need to use all 10 if calling from a mobile - the area code can only be omitted if using a landline within the same area code - similar to using a UK landline in the same STD area.
    Maybe somebody with more knowledge can clarify ?

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,072 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As I understand the procedure over there, when you make a call out of state in America the network you are using will look for the nearest network in the neighbouring state(s) to relay it - so it may pass to its destination on more than one different network.
    I think all numbers, landline and mobile are 10 digits, the first 3 of which is the area code - I reckon you need to use all 10 if calling from a mobile - the area code can only be omitted if using a landline within the same area code - similar to using a UK landline in the same STD area.
    Maybe somebody with more knowledge can clarify ?

In theory I agree, but for some reason when I'm abroad I always need to put in the full code, including the country code, on my iPhone. I assume there is some setting that defaults to a UK number unless you tell it otherwise.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In general you need to use the area code when calling any North American number from a mobile phone. You can't go wrong by also using the + country code such as +1 for a US or Canadian number, +44 for UK (dropping the initial zero), etc. In fact I store all numbers with the + country code on my phone so that they function anywhere, including within that country.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

Another travel related topic from me on a different topic.

I have a Vodafone pay monthly phone with roaming included.

My question is how this works.   If I call a or send a text number local to my location (in the US) I will just need to use the local format, as if I was dialling from a U.S. phone?   To call or text a UK number this would be tested as an international call? 
    No, same as a mobile call in the UK you need to include the area code and the local number but you dont have to do the +1 for the US at the front. For any numbers in your contacts it's always worth storing it in international format and then the phone will automatically call it correctly depending where in the world you are. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback