We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Golf simulator cabin

Options
Kirkmain
Kirkmain Posts: 212 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 29 April at 9:50AM in Gardening
Anyone have experience of building a cabin large enough for a golf sim? Can anyone share photos of finished design? Any tips? Recommendations? Ballpark costs all in?

Thanks

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 28 April at 12:59PM
    Options
    Biggest issue you might have is height - without planning permission, you're limited to an eaves height of 2.5m (IIRC), so you'd need to make sure you have enough clear roof space internally for your swing and might mean you need a larger footprint than you'd think. 

Best bet is for you to go and visit some showrooms locally to you - then you can get an idea of the internal dimensions (most places online only list external) and maybe find what you're looking for in a sale. 

Don't forget to factor in the slab/foundation, and running power. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One way around the height restriction, is to dig down. The down side is that this adds to the cost, and the need to waterproof the lowered area. You will also need to take into account the steps needed to get down the finished floor level. 

My son recently completed a tiny house build in the North of England. They spent about £10K building a 8.5m x 2.5m cabin, that was very well insulated and this cost included a small kitchen, five double glazed windows and two doors, one of which was a double. He did all the work himself. The £10K was just for materials.

I expect you could save a lot on this price, but if you want a well built, well insulated garden room that could be used all year round. I would expect to pay about £10K, and probably a bit more to have more headroom to swinging a golf club.

Andy McCelland's Youtube Channel "Gosforth Handyman" might have some useful information for you as well. For example, this video looks at the problems of buidling within permitted development rights for heights: https://youtu.be/4X3vGmQ04XE?si=NA0D52f1wBlxu5da

Unfortunately his costs for his Garden Room are only available to members of his channel, and there is a cost to access his member-only content.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    One way around the height restriction, is to dig down.
    Where we live, the creation of a basement or structure beyond a certain depth requires planning permission.  I assume that will apply in other places also.  It may apply everywhere in UK.

The stated reason where we live is for management of flood plain and potential displacement of ground water.  I have no reason to doubt that reason as being genuine.  Another factor that may influence would be the presence of buried services
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 29 April at 12:33PM
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    One way around the height restriction, is to dig down.
    Where we live, the creation of a basement or structure beyond a certain depth requires planning permission.  I assume that will apply in other places also.  It may apply everywhere in UK.

The stated reason where we live is for management of flood plain and potential displacement of ground water.  I have no reason to doubt that reason as being genuine.  Another factor that may influence would be the presence of buried services
    The definition of 'basement' in the (England) building regs is if the floor at any point is "more than 1200mm below the highest level of ground", which I don't think would be needed in this case - but I agree lowering the level of the ground may require building control sign off (rather than planning permission). 

Around here you can get pre-application advice 
    (about £25 if IIRC) to check if permission or sign off would be needed for your plans - but it does require you to have fairly detailed plans, which would be at a cost if you can't do them yourself. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback