PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Budget-2 adults

Options
Hi
New to this , apologies if wrong place 😬- I try to budget £550 per month food/fuel for car . Want to reduce to initially £400?

Comments

• Ibblackberry
    Ibblackberry Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You'd need to give more details, whats the split, is the car element just most fuel, or finance etc etc.

Your question cant really be answered with the details you've given.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Someone will give the link to a Statement of Affairs -  everything you spend or earn.

Keep a record of every single penny you spend -  every coffee, newspaper, every bar of chocolate.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,681 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    SOA is in this post

Debt-Free Wannabe Sticky - Provit & Statute Barred Letters, Defaults, Help and Guidance, All Here... — MoneySavingExpert Forum

fill it out and either keep it for your own use or post it on the debt free board and you'll get lots of helpful suggestions. 

I suggest on that board as that's where the debt adviser hang out and will more easily spot it.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you are saying you currently spend £550 per month food and petrol for 2 people?  I too have a joint budget for food and petrol for 2 which is £500 per month although we generally come in around £400 - £450 (done this way as we both have cards for one account so either can pick up shopping or petrol). However, while you can monitor food costs, petrol depends so much on mileage, one or two cars etc. Hence I have the leeway in the budget.  In my experience,  unless you drive around for fun, it's hard to cut back on the petrol side. Plenty of advice on here about cutting grocery costs if that would help? 
    Never, ever give up........
  • Monica18
    Monica18 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Monica18 said:
    Hi
    New to this , apologies if wrong place 😬- I try to budget £550 per month food/fuel for car . Want to reduce to initially £400?
    Thankyou !  £550 is for groceries and diesel only for car, we have 2 accounts one for all utility bills /savings /emergency fund and 2nd one for grocery shopping which we transfer £ over to on payday also get 1% cash back on all spends on grocery account . Do hope to reduce grocery budget , as also work from home so reduced mileage /car use.
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    So then I'd ask how much (roughly) do you think you spend on groceries and fuel separately.  My budget is £300 food and £200 fuel. Normally come in just under on both. As I said, the fuel budget is what it is. The grocery one I can work a bit more with. 
    Never, ever give up........
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,140 Forumite
    edited 28 April at 6:07PM
    Options
    To save money on shopping, the obvious answers are to plan meals better and shop for ingredients rather than anything pre-prepared. Do you have a freezer? If so, making batches of meals can save a bit. 

To save fuel on the car, plan your journeys, walk more and take public transport when this saves money on fuel and parking, and try to drive more smoothly by anticipating other road users actions. Don't change the car unless there is a viable business case to do so, i.e. you can save a lot more than it will cost you to change. There is always a risk when changing cars; buy a lemon and you might end up losing everything you hoped to save.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Monica18.  Welcome to the Forum.

May I suggest that you join us on the monthly Grocery Challenge?  I’ve linked to May’s but the most recent is always pinned to the top of the Old Style Board.  Even if you don’t join for a couple of months, it is well worth following along and reading all of the money-saving posts linked at the start.

By the sound of things, you only have one car, yes?  Approximately how much does it cost to fill up?  And how many times a month do you fill up?  Budget that plus an extra tank-fill a month and move all your petrol money to a separate savings account held at the same bank as your 1% account.  Prior to paying for fuel, move the necessary amount over to your payment account.  (If that’s Chase, then it takes seconds to move the money back and their system is never down.  This is what I do.)

I work from home 3 days a week.  My current budget for fuel is £120/month, which is based on 2 tanks of petrol, and I’ve yet to need all the money.  Back when I commuted every working day, it was £240.  (My husband maintains his car separately to mine.  I don’t know his petrol budget.)

On the food/groceries front, there are two of us and, from May, we’re budgeting £290 a month for all “housekeeping”, which includes money set aside for the Christmas goose, the garden, a Bulk Fund and a Booze Fund.  I set out the details - and how we stick to it - in this post last November.

Hope this helps.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 8 spent.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family