New roof- water leaking down both chimney breasts

Options
Just looking for advice.  I posted on here last week as we had a new roof and when he had finished near the chimney i could see light.  I mentioned this to the roofer and he said this often happens due to a ‘shadow’ from the flashing, however he went up and said he had fixed it ( though looking later i think he just put some of our old black felt under the new white felt but it did stop the light).

We paid for the new roof on thursday and have a ten year guarantee.  This morning after all this rain i have checked and the chimney breast is wet through and there is also a small leak on the other chimney breast so it appears to be something to do with the flashing on both sides (we are boarded in our attic so its easy to check all round).

Any advice you can give me?…. Is this normal to have teething problems with flashing on a brand new roof? ( i felt i was fobbed off about the light issue so i want to be able to come back to him if he says the leaks are just due to exceptional rainfall )

thank you

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No it is not normal, and the guy sounds like a right cowboy with that shadow comment. Ring them first thing on Monday to get them to get someone out to fix it (preferably not the cowboy).
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No it is not normal, and the guy sounds like a right cowboy with that shadow comment. Ring them first thing on Monday to get them to get someone out to fix it (preferably not the cowboy).
    I texted him and he rang me straight back and he is coming tomorrow so hopefully thats a good sign and he will fix it properly this time.
    unfortunately we used all our savings so we cant pay out for a different roofer to fix the problems as we have no more money left but he did give us a 10 year guarantee.  Praying he fixes it XXX
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Could you post photos of how the chimneys were flashed?
  • kippers
    Options
    Could you post photos of how the chimneys were flashed?
    The worst leak is from this chimney but from the back where you cant see the flashing without going up there
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did the chimney leak like that before the roof was done?
  • kippers
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    Did the chimney leak like that before the roof was done?
    No it didnt.  We had two leaks but both near the ridge tiles which seem water tight now
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nowadays chimney stacks have lead trays fitted to prevent rain penetrating the brickwork and running down inside the brickwork. As yours is an older stack it won't have lead trays, so it's possible that even with the flashings in good condition rain can get into the roof space.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback