Debt clearing and saving so I can retire (soon!)

Options
Hello, I haven't been around here for a while, but thought I would start a nice, new diary for my journey into retirement. I'm dreaming of moving to the seaside and starting the day with a walk along the seafront. I'm not in a good financial position to do this - too many bad decisions along the way, but there must be a way :smile:

I put my plans on hold over the last few years to take care of my parents. Sadly my dad passed away and my mum's moved into a care home, so I suppose I have some freedom now to get on with things. Unfortunately the last few years have taken their toll and I'm in a bit of a mess physically, emotionally, financially, lots of ways really. 

I'll be back later, hopefully with a bit of a plan.

mmh x

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good Luck with the plan! 

Now retired I get to spend many days having a wander along the sea front and it is really lovely (if wet and windy this spring) 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I find it's easier to set aside worries when there's a plan - whether it's for dealing with debts or anything else.

Best of luck!!!

and sorry about your parents.  Both death and moving into care can be very difficult things to deal with.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your parents.

I can really relate to your journey.

Like you I had several years caring for a relative who died. It took as lot out of me. It was a life changing experience. I have been trying to get to a home by the seaside for the past few years. I will be retired on a small income, hopefully soon. 

I will be following your journey with interest

Good luck
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Good luck ⭐️
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 2lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    welcome back @makingmehappy
    its a privilege and a challenge to care for relatives isn't it?   My mum died 2 years ago which was so hard and has meant that I have had to ramp up my day to day support for my dad.
    I started my own diary because I wanted to stop working and needed to shift my money mindset as well as tidying up finances and legacy bad decisions.
    I still can't believe that I've been able to retire and I finished work last October.  It's so worth the effort along the way.
    there are so many wise, inspirational, supportive and fun folk on these beards that will help your dream become a reality.

• makingmehappy
    makingmehappy Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely welcome and support.

I am grateful that work allowed me to go back to my previous job, and it feels good to have a wage coming in again. Unfortunately, I'm finding it difficult to get back into the work and keep up with everything that's going on and I've had the Sunday collywobbles today.

The first step is to get back to mse basics for a while - I'm going cash only with a weekly budget and no credit. Also no drinking and no internet at home to make sure I don't fall off the mse wagon in a moment of madness.

I'm off to make my sandwich for tomorrow :smile:

Have a good evening.

mmh x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family