PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing Co-operative questions

Options
Hello everybody

I hope I'm in the right forum to ask about housing co-operatives.  It's something that a few friends and I are considering, but we're unsure of some of the ins and outs and are finding help hard to come by.

The idea is that one of us, who owns a house on mortgage currently, sells up and we buy and  live together paying towards the co-op.  We've had some contact with a group called Radical Routes but in order to get answers we need to attend their 3-monthly workshops and as we're all neuro-divergent and/or disabled, it's been very hard to attend, focus and stay til the end.  We've searched all over the internet and emailed several possible places but we've had little to no response.

I'm hoping we can find some help here.

Our questions;-

1. Person A owns the house she is living in and is eligible for (non-housing) UC benefits. If she sells the house and buys over 16k in loanstock in our cooperative she seems to become ineligible for benefits (even though she is living in the cooperative’s house). Could she (and others who loan to the cooperative) either;

a. Have joint interest in the house (perhaps with a restrictive contract requiring 5 years notice to sell out, giving the coop right to buy out with the original sum, or ceding rights to the coop.
b.  Create some form of discretionary trust or the like which invests the money into the cooperative as loanstock
c.  Simply donate the money

2.  What mortgage providers are even going to talk to us?

3. Are we able to get some example cases of reasonable numbers, i.e. what sort of deposit/loanstock/size loan etc. what kind of loanstock to mortgage ratio is expected? What sort of interest rate, same, better or worse than an individual?

4. Are there any examples of it going wrong?

5.  How long do you usually expect to repay the loanstock or do you even need to (considering its from private members)

6.  How long does the business plan need to cover?

7.  Do you get a 25 year mortgage then set a fixed date e.g. 5 years for loanstock and then just reissue that after 5 years?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

SupahPossum13
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure