14 days cooling of with terms of business?

Options
Hi all

Hope this is the right place to ask.
I have two questions?

1) Am I already deemed to have started services and am already in the 14 day cooling off peroid?
I contacted a no win no fee solicitor for personal injury to see if they can help? They asesed the information I sent them and they said yes we can take on the case and we will send the terms of business whixh I got today and is below. I'm confused am I already in contract and if I canceled am ai liable for any costs to them so far? I haven't signed anything yet. Just emailed them the evidence I have and if they can take on a no win and no fee whixh they said yes and here's our terms and conditions.

I just called them and they said technically you are now in the 14 days cooling off but if you canceled now there wouldn't be any costs to you, its only really there to protect us if you are futher down the line and we have spent alot of time and work and you suddenly cancel. Hope this is true?

2) what do I need to ensure of in small print? Do I need to ask for anything else in small print? 
I have heard people taking out an insurance for if they loose in a no win no fee?

Anything in their terms and conditions below I should be worried about? 

Please find terms of business attached.

They have offered to take on my case but I am nervous of any financial costs to me.

Any advice hugely appreciated 

Comments

• blackstar
    blackstar Posts: 372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry it wont let me upload a pdf so just screen shots. Also I have deleted all provate info such as my details and name of law firm etc
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, you're not in contract.

They have assessed your case and have decided that they are willing to take it on. They believe you have a very good chance of winning. They are now waiting for you to take the next step.

if you agree to accept their offer and go ahead with them, and you co-operate with them throughout the process, then even if the case is lost in the end you will have nothing to pay.
    In that case their fees and costs are paid by an insurance policy which they take out at their expense.

When you win your case they will retain a portion of what you are awarded, probably about 20%, to cover their costs such as paying for that insurance policy.

If you don't co-operate with them, for example you refuse to attend court as required or you lie under oath, resulting in the case being lost, you will have to pay all their costs. This would be unusual because both you and they have the common aim of working towards a win so it should be a no-brainer for you, but you should be aware that it is a risk.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,612 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 April at 6:40PM
    Options
    Hello OP

I haven’t read all the terms you posted (too long sorry :) ) but in general, yes if you have a cooling off period for a service and agree for the service to start in the cooling off period it is correct that you pay for the aspect of the service received up until the point you cancel.

That is of course subject to actually having a contract, as noted by Alderbank above. 
  • blackstar
    Options
    Alderbank said:
    No, you're not in contract.

They have assessed your case and have decided that they are willing to take it on. They believe you have a very good chance of winning. They are now waiting for you to take the next step.

if you agree to accept their offer and go ahead with them, and you co-operate with them throughout the process, then even if the case is lost in the end you will have nothing to pay.
    In that case their fees and costs are paid by an insurance policy which they take out at their expense.

When you win your case they will retain a portion of what you are awarded, probably about 20%, to cover their costs such as paying for that insurance policy.

If you don't co-operate with them, for example you refuse to attend court as required or you lie under oath, resulting in the case being lost, you will have to pay all their costs. This would be unusual because both you and they have the common aim of working towards a win so it should be a no-brainer for you, but you should be aware that it is a risk.
    Thanks when you say there is a risk. What is the risk? 
    So nervous as don't know what to do....nervous about maybe somehow I will end up being liable for costs somehow. 
    Something I have missed in some small print....but this is all the fine print I think they have given me. 
    So undecided 
  • blackstar
    Options
    Anyone else have any experience of a no win no fee and what was your experience? 
  • blackstar
    Options
    Probably over thinking it and overly worrying. 
    I have read the companies reviews on trustpilot and they are rated excellent with almost 2 thousand reviews.
    The reviews are literally almost all excellent. 

Guessing they must think I have a good case to be willing to take it on. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback