Deleted email folder by mistake

Options
libra10
libra10 Posts: 18,722 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
The folder seems to have disappeared in both Thunderbird and GMail, both on my PC, tablet and mobile.

If I restored my PC (Windows 11) back to previous date, would this also restore my GMail folder?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,889 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 April at 11:07AM
    Options
    Presumably you have tried looking in the 'Trash' can in your Gmail to see if they are there ? 
    Gmail don't do 'folders' they're 'labels' :smile:
  • libra10
    Options
    Thank you for replying.

Yes, I've checked Trash in Thunderbird and GMail server, without success.

Also wondered whether it would be possible to recover the folder without doing a restore, but it doesn't see, possible.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,889 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 April at 11:59AM
    Options
    It maybe a long shot, but have you tried searching for specific mail titles that you can remember were in the folder ? I've never done it with e-mails ,but more than once one of my document folders had gone missing and I thought it had got deleted but it turned out that I'd inadvertently dragged it inside another folder so that it wasn't visible from the main list anymore  
  • libra10
    Options
    I think there were approximately 15 or 16 emails in the folder.  I remember a few of these and will do a search, Unfortunately the others were emails waiting to be printed out, and I have forgotten some of the people who sent them.
    I don't keep many separate folders, but checked whether the folder could have slipped in with others, without success.

I can't understand how the folder has disappeared as I'm very careful before deleting anything.

It would be helpful if there was a recover option, but it doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for replying.

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gmail is a cloud service, Thunderbird local in most cases.

If you link gmail to thunderbird then you can see the email within Thunderbird. If create a new folder in Thunderbird then you can easily create one which ic not a Gmail folder and moving mails there removes it from gmail in its entirety. It would not longer be visible if you went to gmail.com to see it.

If you have done this and then deleted the folder in Thunderbird then it has nothing to do with gmail unfortunately. In this instance you would be entirely dependent on what backups you do of Thunderbird.

Have you gone to gmail.com to see if it is in the online side?
  • libra10
    Options
    Thanks for replying @400ixl
    Unfortunately I've never done Thunderbird backups, I didn't know this was possible.
    Yes, I've checked GMail as well as Thunderbird, and the folder is nowhere to be seen on either.

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try these recommendations https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7165104_restore-email-folders-mozilla-thunderbird.html

No idea if they work as not a Thunderbird user for at least 15 years now since I can do it all in Gmail natively in a browser.
  • libra10
    Options
    Thanks very much for the link.

I've tried some of the suggestions, but not much success.  I will have another look tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.

• bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are the actual emails gone, or just the folder? Last I heard, you can access gmail via POP or IMAP and I'm guessing you are using IMAP. Google emulates IMAP folders as a type of label, so it's possible that the emails have just had the label removed, and can still be accessed by a search. 
  • libra10
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

The folder including emails are gone.  I checked the server as well as Thunderbird, and they had vanished.

However, searching for several of the lost emails, I managed to recover those I remembered and they are now stored in a new folder.  It seems too easy to just lose a folder, I am very careful before deleting anything and it's a bit of a mystery how this happened.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback