PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land registry charge

Options
McGinness
McGinness Posts: 1 Newbie
Apologies this may not be the correct forum
i moved house Aug 2022 paying in full the bill to the solicitor which included land registry fees. 
Today my solicitor has asked me for £605 stating that there is a back log at the Land registry department and they have now assessed and decided that as our house purchase comprised two titles ? The whole of one and part of another  and they require the registration fees to be payable under scale 1 and hence increased costs. 
I do not have the money to pay and feel let down by the solicitor who should have correctly quoted at the time we settled and feel that after such a long time given back logs that the land registry should absorb these costs 
what are my rights ? This is appalling 

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your solicitor must have been aware (as must you) that you were purchasing two titles.
    So should have known what the LR fees would be and should have quoted to you correctly.
    You could try raising a complaint via the firm's complaints procedure.
    However I suspect that as this is a disbursement (3rd party fee paid on your behalf by the solicitor) you will have to pay.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    McGinness said:
     that the land registry should absorb these costs 
    what are my rights ? This is appalling 
    None at all. If the fees aren't paid then the property won't be registered and your mortgage lender will get uppity. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback