Barclaycard lowering minimum payment

Options
surreysaver
surreysaver Posts: 4,109 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 23 April at 7:38AM in Credit cards
Can someone check my maths? I've had an email from Barclaycard lowering my minimum payment

My current minimum payment is 2.75%.  I don't think that £240.31 is 2.75% of £7,500, and I also don't think 1% of £7,500 is £202.81.  Unless I've misunderstood the email?

I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you may be forgetting to add on the monthly interest.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • surreysaver
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    I think you may be forgetting to add on the monthly interest.
    Maybe!  The email doesn't say anything about interest, and I only ever carry a balance at 0%!  So my calculations will be correct at the rate I'm carrying a balance at.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The second option includes interest, "1% of your balance plus any interest...", and I'd guess the examples are generic and will include interest even though your balance is on a 0% interest deal.
  • surreysaver
    Options
    The second option includes interest, "1% of your balance plus any interest...", and I'd guess the examples are generic and will include interest even though your balance is on a 0% interest deal.
    It should have shown the working out. For all they know, I might have spent £7,500 during the month!
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Those examples are generic, it says at the top the assumption is you don't spend any more on the card.
  • surreysaver
    Options
    Those examples are generic, it says at the top the assumption is you don't spend any more on the card.
    It should have also said the assumption was interest is charged at x% to make it clear. It just leaves me thinking Barclaycard cannot do maths!
  • Superhoopza
    Superhoopza Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It should have also said the assumption was interest is charged at x% to make it clear. It just leaves me thinking Barclaycard cannot do maths!
    To be fair there are plenty of other ways to see your interest rate.
  • surreysaver
    Options
    I wasn't looking for my interest rate. I know what it is, which is what prompted my post in the first place 
  • Superhoopza
    Superhoopza Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wasn't looking for my interest rate. I know what it is, which is what prompted my post in the first place 
    If you know your interest rate, then the assumed interest is your balance multiplied by your interest rate for a month.
  • surreysaver
    Options
    If you know your interest rate, then the assumed interest is your balance multiplied by your interest rate for a month.
    But it isn't. Which prompted my original post. You'll realise that if you read the thread.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback