New-style ESA - payments backdated? What's the initial phone call like?

Options
pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 22 April at 5:48PM in Benefits & tax credits
I'm employed (PAYE) full-time but have been signed off work since August last year due to illness (not terminal). I've been constantly employed FT for 20+ years so NI contributions all up-to-date.

My SSP has recently run out. My company sent me my SSP1 form, so today I applied for New-style ESA. I've posted off my SSP1 and current Fit Note. I put down that I want to claim from 15 April, as that was my first day without SSP. I couldn't apply until today as my company only just issued the SSP1. As and when payments start, will they be backdated to 15 April? Or will I only start getting payments from the date a decision is made?

The application process says the next step is an initial phone call to agree a 'claimant commitment'. I just wondered if anyone has had one of these calls recently and can tell me a bit more about what to expect, and what they'll expect of me? I still have a job, so will I be expected to actively job-hunt?  :/

First time claiming any sort of benefit so feeling a bit overwhelmed (not helped by doing it while ill!). 

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You won't receive any payments for the first 7 days of your claim as this is known as the "waiting days."

During the phone call you will be asked to agree to your claimant commiment, which will just be to agree to report any changes. There's some information here. https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim#:~:text=It%20will%20normally%20be%20over,can%20get%20New%20Style%20ESA%20.

It does say in that link that you'll be asked to provide medical evidence but this refers to a fit note, which you've already sent. You would only need to provide medical evidence when you receive the ESA50 form. 
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just to note that for future Fit Notes you can scan or photograph them and submit them online for ESA (oddly though you can't do that for UC).
    PS. Never send original documents to the DWP, they have a habit of losing them.
    If you have to send something by post then send a copy.
    If they insist on seeing the original you can take it to a Jobcenter for them to scan in, it's best to phone the JC and make an appointment and not just turn up.
    When they do send you an ESA50 to fill in you can instead use the one online which you can fill in and save on your computer so that you always have a copy, then print it, sign it, and send it to them.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/capability-for-work-questionnaire
    (You can also start filling that in in advance - but don't send it off until they have sent you a blank one).

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks, both. 

I noticed Fit Notes can be sent online. I only sent this one by post as I had to send the SSP1 form too, and that could only be sent by post. I sent the original SSP1 but kept a copy. The Fit Note I'd printed myself as the GP sent it digitally, so I still have the PDF. Thanks for the tip re original docs! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback