We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Interest free CC and obtaining a 20 to 30k credit limit at application

Options
13»

Comments

• maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 571 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Check MBNA.  They are usually generous and will show you a credit limit that you will get on a soft search before full application.

They offer 0% deals on both BT and MT, reguarly.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May at 3:46PM
    Options
    Barclaycard are not what they used to be, some years back they did a en masse of very large reductions of credit limits.  Some people since then have had offers to increase again, but I have the opinion they are one of the tighter providers now.

Regardless I cant see you as a new customer getting a 30k limit of the bat.

You would potentially if considered highly desirable get maybe close to 10k, so applying for 3 cards could allow you to clear 20k.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chrysalis said:
    Barclaycard are not what they used to be, some years back they did a en masse of very large reductions of credit limits.  Some people since then have had offers to increase again, but I have the opinion they are one of the tighter providers now.

Regardless I cant see you as a new customer getting a 30k limit of the bat.

You would potentially if considered highly desirable get maybe close to 10k, so applying for 3 cards could allow you to clear 20k.
    I agree 100%. The people with little use got limits cut for sure and being a bit tight on new limits though I think this is common to most now. Barclays have maintained mine and even increased it but I have a decent balance on there for BT and they keep giving me offers

I was given £4000 by M&S 2 years ago, then £2500 by Santander and £2750 by NatWest over the last couple of years though that might have been limited by existing credit and BTs, Tesco gave me £4000 recently so it's never guaranteed! 
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs Arty just got a £20k limit on a new card. But her income is a lot more than the OPs, and this is Amex, which is known for pretty generous limits. But not for 0% deals.

So basically, no chance of this working for the OP...
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    artyboy said:
    Mrs Arty just got a £20k limit on a new card. But her income is a lot more than the OPs, and this is Amex, which is known for pretty generous limits. But not for 0% deals.

So basically, no chance of this working for the OP...
    I just got £20K across NatWest group CC with no-fee BT offer and my income is less than OPs. Furthermore, I think total credit limit available to me at the moment is well over my annual income.

• Mr.Plinky
    Mr.Plinky Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the insights thought I'd pop back with an update. 
    Managed to secure a further advance way over what we need for a fraction over 5%.
    Santander agreed 15k with the interest free purchases over the 13 months. 
    Kitchens going on the CC. 
    Funds from FA goes in savings account monthly interest higher vs the mortgage rate. 
    So all round got what we needed to finish the refurb
    Wife gets her kitchen
    We make a few extra pounds for a while at least on the excess. 
    Clearscore was definately a good instrument for research. 
    Wish us luck 🤞😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport