Resolution for web site

Options
GT60
GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 April at 10:44AM in Techie Stuff
Hi I created a google map listing homeless services in Manchester
Once done i screen shot it and then print it out with a water mark, i then scan it set at 600 dpi.
I have tried a higher dpi but it takes for ever to load on social media as i share the work with the world.
A business management company use it but they are asking if i can get a better resolution for their web site so i gave them access to the map on my G drive.

Is there a way i can improve the resolution then screen shot it  and print the map out with a water mark and scan it again and then send them the scanned version?

I am running windows 11 and a Dell monitor with an Epson XP 4105 printer

I have enclosed the map i currently use for an example.
Thank you <3 

Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't understand all the steps.
    Why not just watermark it digitally?

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pramsay13 said:

Thinking the same thing......

Can you snip it? Increase scan to 1200 dpi? Not watermark it but insist on them crediting it to you?

• booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 304 Forumite
    edited 21 April at 11:20AM
    Options
    GT60 said:
    Hi I created a google map listing homeless services in Manchester
    Once done i screen shot it and then print it out with a water mark, i then scan it set at 600 dpi.
    I have tried a higher dpi but it takes for ever to load on social media as i share the work with the world.
    A business management company use it but they are asking if i can get a better resolution for their web site so i gave them access to the map on my G drive.

Is there a way i can improve the resolution then screen shot it  and print the map out with a water mark and scan it again and then send them the scanned version?

I am running windows 11 and a Dell monitor with an Epson XP 4105 printer

I have enclosed the map i currently use for an example.
    Thank you <3 

DPI doesn't apply to images on the Internet displaying on monitors. It's pixels you need to think about, as well as the image format.

You might want to try saving in a non-JPEG format such as PNG with a limited palette (there won't be many colours in the above map, maybe 256?). If you're using JPEG then you're going to get compression artifacts that make edges look fuzzy.

If the resulting file is too large (in terms of file size to be reasonable on the internet), you can try running it through image optimisation - either through tools like Photoshop or free online tools.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not just link directly to the Google map rather than an image of the map?
  • GT60
    edited 21 April at 12:16PM
    Options
    pramsay13 said:

Doesn't that mean i still have to uploading the screen shot to Canva or something to add the water mark?

Where as currently i print the map out on paper i have pre added a printed water mark to.
    Once printed i then Scan  the print and then save it to my PC and send out that image.
    Andy_L said:
    Why not just link directly to the Google map rather than an image of the map?

That's what i have done but would have preferred sending a watermarked image.
    But like @ce@cerebus has said just ask for a credit might be easier.

Thanks 
  • GT60
    Options
    DPI doesn't apply to images on the Internet displaying on monitors. It's pixels you need to think about, as well as the image format.

You might want to try saving in a non-JPEG format such as PNG with a limited palette (there won't be many colours in the above map, maybe 256?). If you're using JPEG then you're going to get compression artifacts that make edges look fuzzy.

If the resulting file is too large (in terms of file size to be reasonable on the internet), you can try running it through image optimisation - either through tools like Photoshop or free online tools.
    How do I alter the palette?
    Is a PNG image better than a JPEG? 
    I save all images as JPEG's
    Thanks
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 304 Forumite
    edited 21 April at 12:38PM
    Options
    GT60 said:

How do I alter the palette?

Whatever tool your using should give you options when saving to PNG including limiting to a certain number of colours - if not, you can find online tools to do it: https://onlinepngtools.com/decrease-png-color-count (I just Googled to find that, not used it personally). 

Is a PNG image better than a JPEG? 

It depends on the source image. Low colour count images with lots of straight lines (like your map) will look fuzzy in JPEG and better in PNG (although you should be able to raise the JPEG quality to 100 in the save options of whatever tool you're using - that might reduce fuzziness). PNG will generally be larger than JPEG, especially with photographs (which is what JPEG is best at)

• GT60
    Options
    @booneruk It is the windows tools that are on the pc, i haven't downloaded any thing else.
    I  now know what i am doing wrong so a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone <3
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback