Options
2»

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    Check that the hose connector has a fibre or rubber washer in it. If there isn't one there, they can be obtained easily enough, but without one it might not be possible to do the threaded nut up tightly. 
    Been there. Done that.

The little bu**ers drop out when you're not looking and if you don't notice then you wonder why you're not getting a good seal
  • Bubbles_0412
    Bubbles_0412 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks all, I've been out all day and only just coming back on here. My mum's partner came this morning and put it back on tightly but I've just looked at it and it doesn't look like it's on straight so I'm afraid to try and run a cycle in case it happens again. The electrics seem to be fine, the socket wasn't actually wet when I pulled it out by some miracle, I guess as most of the water went up and over the machine rather than down and I was fast turning it off. 
    One thing I've noticed watching lots of videos is that it always looks like they are spinning it really easily when connecting the pipe. Whereas mine was really stiff and hard to turn. Should it be like that? I might just leave it alone until Monday to be honest and ask the landlord's plumber to come and sort it. I don't think I'll ever trust it now if I do it, I'd have to sit at the sink unit with my hand on the tap for the whole cycle 🤦🏻‍♀️😂 

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,637 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does sound like a plumber should have a look at it if you can get hold of one. Maybe it is cross threaded now if it appears to be at an odd angle. Is the pipe connector plastic and the one on the washing machine metal? If so, maybe a relatively cheap new pipe is the better solution.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No it shouldn't be hard to turn, like I said in my first post is it cross threaded ? If it doesn't look straight and was stiff the screw on  it could be cross threaded and that then could burst off.

It takes a few easy turns and I usually do the last one with a pair of grips 

Best wait for a plumber 
  • Bubbles_0412
    Bubbles_0412 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks both. It's definitely really tight and hard to turn even when it feels completely straight. I'm going to leave it for the plumber, and enjoy the weekend 😎
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks both. It's definitely really tight and hard to turn even when it feels completely straight. I'm going to leave it for the plumber, and enjoy the weekend 😎

As much as it sounds like you didn't mind having a go - if you're unsure - definitely get someone in to work out what's gone wrong, and avoid a repeat of the kitchen fitted shower. Good news that the electrics were dry when you pulled the machine out. If you remember later once someone has been to check it - come back and let us know what it was - no matter how daft it might have been.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To save money, get a new hose in stock before the plumber comes. Otherwise you’ll be paying him to go shopping for you. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's cross threaded. Make sure there's an intact washer in there when fitting a new one. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback