MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,790 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 19 April at 2:07PM in Techie Stuff

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Options
    I'd have risked £50 but it is, of course, out of stock.
  • steviebuk
    steviebuk Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the back of Chromebooks it tells you when they are out of support and no longer updated. I bet this is one of those. 
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd have risked £50 but it is, of course, out of stock.
    Staff would have had all them!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April at 12:17PM
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    Like others, I'd have got one for £50.  Still out of stock.

EDIT - I wonder whether that was ever a valid listing at Curry's?
    They also have the same item (it seems) available at £269
    https://www.currys.co.uk/products/acer-314-14-chromebook-mediatek-mt8183c-128-gb-emmc-silver-10240176.html
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    Like others, I'd have got one for £50.  Still out of stock.

EDIT - I wonder whether that was ever a valid listing at Curry's?
    They also have the same item (it seems) available at £269
    https://www.currys.co.uk/products/acer-314-14-chromebook-mediatek-mt8183c-128-gb-emmc-silver-10240176.html
    There's a surprise! 
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 April at 2:08PM
    Options
    If you want a cheap Chromebook then there is another way, it could even be for free if you have an old laptop knocking about.
    You can fairly easily turn almost any old laptop (Windows or Mac) into a "Chromebook" (well not quite but near enough for most users, see below) by installing ChromeOS Flex on it.
    ChromeOS Flex doesn't have Google Play access and does not support running Android apps. PCs running ChromeOS Flex cannot run Windows virtual machines using Parallels Desktop. Lastly, support for the Linux development environment in ChromeOS Flex depends on your PC and whether Google certified it.

Personally I'd put Linux on an old laptop that's not up to running modern Windows or Mac OSs.
    But I know that some people think Linux too 'techie' (it isn't but that's the perception) and are happier with the Chromebook-like look and cloud storage.

• MouldyOldDough
    Options
    There are several hundred user reports on the site. 
    I wonder how many of them are genuine and what they paid? 
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    Newcad said:
    If you want a cheap Chromebook then there is another way, it could even be for free if you have an old laptop knocking about.
    You can fairly easily turn almost any old laptop (Windows or Mac) into a "Chromebook" (well not quite but near enough for most users, see below) by installing ChromeOS Flex on it.
    ChromeOS Flex doesn't have Google Play access and does not support running Android apps. PCs running ChromeOS Flex cannot run Windows virtual machines using Parallels Desktop. Lastly, support for the Linux development environment in ChromeOS Flex depends on your PC and whether Google certified it.

Personally I'd put Linux on an old laptop that's not up to running modern Windows or Mac OSs.
    But I know that some people think Linux too 'techie' (it isn't but that's the perception) and are happier with the Chromebook-like look and cloud storage.

You need a ssd surely to speed it up as well 
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Newcad said:

Yep linux mint is very similiar to windows, there is another which is closer still but I can't remember it's name

Uses less resources too
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think that is part of the perception issue with Linux, the different 'flavours'.
    (Of course there isn't just one flavour of Windows, or one ChromeOS either - but somehow they are 'seen' as just being the one).
    And yes @MouldyOldDough i would always put an SSD in any laptop that doesn't already have one no matter what the OS.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback