PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Prospective buyer only gave partial information on a survey

Options

Buyer had their survey done before putting in an offer.  Survey pulled up lots of silly little things on some of the newer work, with only one slightly valid point, typical stuff for surveys I guess.

However no comments on areas where I was definitely expecting a lot more feedback compared to the newer bits. There is still some slight damage we are waiting to fix too that wasn't brought up.

Are they probably withholding information in an attempt to lower their offer at the last moment? Still seems odd. Considering their offer.

Thankyou.

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,148 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Though the whole point of doing so would be to have the info before agreeing the offer - I can't see legitimate grounds for chipping away further with information which they already had...
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Buyer had their survey done before putting in an offer.  Survey pulled up lots of silly little things on some of the newer work, with only one slightly valid point, typical stuff for surveys I guess.

However no comments on areas where I was definitely expecting a lot more feedback compared to the newer bits. There is still some slight damage we are waiting to fix too that wasn't brought up.

Are they probably withholding information in an attempt to lower their offer at the last moment? Still seems odd. Considering their offer.

Thankyou.

Maybe the buyer also saw this and was therefore not surprised by it & already had it factored into their thinking?

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If I'd seen X, Y and Z before commissioning my survey - I'd offer based on what I saw. If the survey then highlighted other issues I didn't see, I might want to discuss those if they were significant. So it may be that everything you 'expected' them to raise, they've already priced in to their offer as they saw it just as you did. I just had a survey done last week - and it saw everything I saw - and only picked up one minor issue that I missed - but it's not enough that I'm changing my offer, and won't change my offer. The house is within my budget - there aren't any others within my budget currently available in the area I want - so I'll just be proceeding as normal until (hopeful) completion. 

It's easy to read too much into a situation sometimes, and house purchasing and selling really does have quite a few stresses along the way. If the buyer reduces the offer (which they can do) - then you have the right to say 'No'. If they've paid for a survey though, they've already invested money into the purchase, alongside no doubt the initial conveyancing fees that they'll be liable for, so you saying 'No' should it happen will likely mean they'll go ahead at the price agreed - unless there's a multitude of similar houses available for less.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Girthhitch
    Girthhitch Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Someone paying for a survey before making an offer seems quite strange in itself, to be honest. 

Yes, especially as I just heard they are using the same estate agent as me.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have they actually made an offer? If not, keep marketing till they do and then decide what to do.
    If yes, and it's a reasonable one, then accept (or negotiate).
    If they later try to reduce their offer based on the survey you are in a strong position to say "Well you already knew that when you made your offer, so no, I won't accept any reduction in price".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback