Carers Allowance - Eligibility Question

Options
Hi.
My partner has just put in a claim for CA. He is my main carer. I'm physically disabled. Still waiting for a decision.  He has been informally told by someone from my local JCP told that he is not eligible for CA as we live about 25 miles apart. We looked through the criteria and eligibility before he made this claim and saw nothing about this.  Since being given this info, I've looked again and can see nothing about this.

Does anyone know anything about this? 

Comments

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That's not correct.
    The eligibility criteria are clearly listed on DWP website.

• cpwhitby
    cpwhitby Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks. We're baffled by this.  There's nothing about distance in the eligibility criteria so we can't understand why someone from the JCP told my partner this.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    Options
    cpwhitby said:
    Thanks. We're baffled by this.  There's nothing about distance in the eligibility criteria so we can't understand why someone from the JCP told my partner this.
    Somebody either making something up instead of just telling the truth that they don't know, or somebody who has been told something incorrect by someone else and hasn't bothered to check if it's true.

Also as far as I know the Jobcentre staff have nothing to do with the Carers Allowance unit, so why they'd even answer other than 'it's nothing to do with us so we don't know' is a mystery.
  • cpwhitby
    cpwhitby Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. We will wait to hear from the Carers Allowance Unit as to the outcome of the claim. It's clear the staff member doesn't really know.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    Options
    I lived 135 miles from my friend who I care for.
    I worked 3 x 15 hour days.
    Then drove to their house to care for them for four days, day and night.
    As soon as carers allowance was granted, I stopped work and moved in the next day.
    Carers ment I was disregarded from Council tax, rent etc.
    Which made me moving in possible.
    It also let me rent my house out as a necessity and the income was disregarded.
    As renting was a necessity and not for proffit.
    I could get carers, rent and work 16 hours if I wanted.
    Strange rules they have.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure