Road Fund Licence

Options
Vaux
Vaux Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I have to disagree that paying for 12 months up front is cheapest. Monthly DD incurs a 5% fee {when I did mine} but there are 7% savings accounts available. If my calculations are correct, then in month 1 you can earn 7% on 11/12ths of the cost + 2% on 1/12th. Month 2 you earn 7% on 10/12ths + 2% on 2/12ths and so on over the 12m period.
Plus, some bank accounts need DDs to avoid costs/earn rewards, so this gives one to use. 

Comments

• The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where are these 7% instant access savings accounts that you refer to ( and it's Vehicle Excise Duty these days)?
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Where are you finding these 7% savings accounts that let you deposit a few hundred quid and then withdraw it in 12 stages in a year?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From MSE guide this is the only 7% savings acc (excluding reg savers).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

The Santander Edge Saver account* pays 7% on up to £4,000, though this includes a 2.5% bonus for the first 12 months. This means the rate will drop after this time.

To get the account, you need a Santander Edge current account – this pays cashback but has a £3 monthly fee. To keep the current account you must deposit at least £500 a month and have two or more active direct debits. But don't be swayed by the 7% rate – it's crucial to take into account the ongoing monthly fee.

Life in the slow lane
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even at this fanciful 7%, my trusty spreadsheet says you'd only save £2.17 of a £180 VED over a year.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Even at this fanciful 7%, my trusty spreadsheet says you'd only save £2.17 of a £180 VED over a year.
    Now add in the monthly fee for the current account you need to have along with this.
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Please name these 7% accounts I have to invest money for my daughter.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April at 3:16PM
    Options
    Arunmor said:
    Please name these 7% accounts I have to invest money for my daughter.
    Go on the savings forum, there are special accounts for kids and there is a good list there - do you mean put money away or actually invest though? I would suggest the former is easy, latter maybe better with an IFA even if just a free consultation which many offer
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much money do you think there is in this 'Road Fund' ?
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    From MSE guide this is the only 7% savings acc (excluding reg savers).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

The Santander Edge Saver account* pays 7% on up to £4,000, though this includes a 2.5% bonus for the first 12 months. This means the rate will drop after this time.

To get the account, you need a Santander Edge current account – this pays cashback but has a £3 monthly fee. To keep the current account you must deposit at least £500 a month and have two or more active direct debits. But don't be swayed by the 7% rate – it's crucial to take into account the ongoing monthly fee.

If you don't deposit £500 or setup the direct debits no fee charged and you can still open the savings account. 
    After the year close and reopen savings account 

• LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My VED was £20 this year --- where's this 7% saving account, I might save 50p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback