We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the previous owner of my home he's due a council tax refund?

Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, don't tell him. The council needs the money far more than he does.
  • CarolynCh
    CarolynCh Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When we get our band reduced, letters addressed to lots of the previous owners (except the one we bought from) arrived which we assumed were advising them that they were due a repayment. As we had no knowledge of these people or their current addresses we just sent them back "return to sender". I've always thought it was a shame that they probably didn't get their refund. In the OP's case, I would hope that they would forward any mail but it's not their responsibility to advise the previous owner.
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He left you £2,000 out of pocket. Don't say a word to him about the £8,000.  
  • eao
    eao Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, tell him and remind him of his obligation to you.  It is the right thing,.
  • CapeTown
    CapeTown Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you got the promises in writing.  If not you haven't really got a leg to stand on. However, I would write him a note reminding him of these promises and informing him of the council tax refund. If as other posters say it will happen automatically that he will get refund.... and I didn't know, he may think that you are being kind by telling him and sort the promises out. 
  • OptimisticAbby
    OptimisticAbby Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    if if he doesn’t get his refund, then presumably the council will get to keep the money. It can then spend it on social care, libraries, waste disposal and all the other services that benefit citizens of your area. Just a thought. 
  • Missy15
    Missy15 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    My first thoughts were no don't tell him. However what goes around comes around. Tell him via email/ letter, and remind him he owes you £2000, and that you expect payment when the money arrives in his bank. Otherwise if it's a legally enforcible debt say you will take him to small claims court.
  • ABr00kes
    ABr00kes Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Your conscious is already getting the better of you, or you wouldn't  have asked the question. Be the bigger person and let him know by text or email. You could even reference the broken promises. By the sound of it, you’d be lucky to get any money back, never mind a response, but your conscious will be clear. Let us know what you decide. 
  • RSD7a
    RSD7a Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell him. Even if he doesn't, life will repay you in unexpected ways. 
  • Groom
    Groom Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps just ask yourself how you would feel if the person who bought your previous house did the same, would you be happy they didn’t tell you? 
    As for the promises he broke were they written or just what he agreed to orally? If written, then the people dealing with the sale should have checked they were kept, get back to them as he broke the contract. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure