Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the previous owner of my home he's due a council tax refund?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I recently bought a house, and during the sale process the previous owner made various promises he didn't keep, leaving me around £2,000 out of pocket. After moving in, I followed Martin's guide on challenging your council tax band, and was successful, so I'll save £550 a year. This means the previous owner's likely owed around £8,000 as he'd been paying the wrong rate for years. While it'll be his with one phone call, he probably won't know about it unless I tell him. I've no goodwill towards him because of the broken promises... should I let him know anyway?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
:o View past Money Moral Dilemmas.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,345 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You know you should.  Even if he's a complete and utter cad.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haven't we had this MMD before?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,690 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slinky said:
    Haven't we had this MMD before?
    I think we have or a post from a MSEr in the same position
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • vanginger
    vanginger Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd agree with the give him one more opportunity to pay you if it's something that he does owe money wise. If it's things he didn't do/leave and you can't do anything about them now, then no 
    He should have been savvy enough himself, his problem.
  • KenAdams2015
    KenAdams2015 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn’t matter the council will automatically revise the banding for all relevant present and past occupiers.
  • Vintagepete
    Options
    Email him and tell him you can tell him how to save himself about £8,000 as long as he gives you the £2,000   you're out of pocket due to his broken promise. Get his reply in writing (hence the email) so you can prove it if he agrees, and say you'll take him to court if he fails.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback