We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Long lasting furniture

Options
I wanting to buy some garden furniture which isn't going to deteriorate quickly. I'm looking for a corner seating type set and not sure if wood, rope or rattan would be best material to go for. I have a budget of around £1000 and also want it to be comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 17 April at 9:28AM
    Options
    This is primarily a gardening forum. Not much tends to be done sitting-down, unless hours on the ride-on are counted, or disability forces it.
    I'd suggest also asking on the ''In my home" section, but clarify what you mean by 'rope' and 'rattan', because neither in traditional form lasts long outdoors. There are very good imitations of hemp rope and rattan these days, but they're essentially plastics. One thing which matters in terms of longevity with plastics, is the amount of UV protection, but I'm not sure how this might be determined. Length of guarantee might be a clue.
    The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    With something that is exposed to the elements, both sun and rain, care is the main factor that determines long lasting.

Having spent over £1000 on a garden set last year the best investment was the £50 cover.  A deep black cover turned to an ash grey after a mediocre summer with the furniture underneath in as new condition. 

The set is currently in the garage protected from our wonderful wet weather eager to be released to another British heatwave.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd be looking at salerooms and recca yards. I don't know what £1k would buy you new, but I bet you'd get more and better quality 2nd hand. You might have to be flexible if you want it quickly though. If you've your heart set on metal for eg but spot something in a saleroom that's beautiful decades old solid wood I'd go for that. 
    In 1811, nearly a quarter of all the women in Britain were named Mary.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well I don't think it really helps you but I bought a wooden bench back in 1984 and coffee table and with annual treatment they've stayed fine.
    Hardwood, good product expensive in it's time.

I also bought a £60 set of cast iron table and chairs. They've suffered with the weather but a sanding and repainting and they do the job well - also bought a £20 bench from the Co-op and I'm still sitting on it.

But I'm guessing you want a fashionable item. Longevity and fashion take a lot more searching for.
    But hardwood or the new recycled plastic will have the longest life if cared for.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wrought Iron base with waterproof seat & back cushions will last far longer than wood or plastic.

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Well I don't think it really helps you but I bought a wooden bench back in 1984 and coffee table and with annual treatment they've stayed fine.
    Hardwood, good product expensive in it's time.
    I'd also recommend pressure treated wood for aesthetics and quality - you can pick up something decent in the end of season sales, but it's a question of luck seeing the right thing at the right time, or spending a bit more if it's something specific. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got a teak table and bench outside that are nearly 70 years old - they were given to my grandparents by their children and have worked their way down to me. They get the occasional scrub with washing up liquid and water and a stiff brush, and are put under cover (when dry) in the winter. They're a lovely silvery-grey. I have other, newer (not by much!) teak furniture that gets the same treatment and is also lasting well - some of the 50+ year-old-chairs have had some slats reinforced, but that's it. 
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a 3 piece conservatory suite (with a table) from a charity shop for £50 about 5 years ago - I sanded the frame and yacht varnished it and then recovered the cushions in a floral fabric - its still going strong now, albeit the covers are a bit faded but that's because I chose a cotton fabric rather than a linen one. It is super comfy and I get a lot of lovely comments about it.
  • SteveSave24
    SteveSave24 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'd be looking at salerooms and recca yards. I don't know what £1k would buy you new, but I bet you'd get more and better quality 2nd hand. You might have to be flexible if you want it quickly though. If you've your heart set on metal for eg but spot something in a saleroom that's beautiful decades old solid wood I'd go for that. 
    I hadn't thought of that option. Good idea cheers.
  • SteveSave24
    SteveSave24 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just a quick update. I went for a Kettler synthetic wicker set in the end as it stated it is Weatherproof and UV resistant. Bought a protective cover as well just to make sure. Just over my budget @ £1,400 but hopefully it will do me well for years to come.

Bought it from a company online called Tincleton Lifestyle who offer free delivery.

Fingers crossed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure