Purchasing shares worry

Options
Hi all 
hoping someone can put my mind to rest as have got myself really worried giving personal info such as NI number and signing a w8-Ben form when opening an online app account with trading 212. I haven’t deposited any money yet but used the recommendation on the MSE website to use Trading 212 and then had a mad panic. 
Are they legit and is it normal to compete and share what I have.
Looking to buy some shares and wanted an app format but as I said am worried now I may get scammed. 
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mckennsa said:
    Hi all 
    hoping someone can put my mind to rest as have got myself really worried giving personal info such as NI number and signing a w8-Ben form when opening an online app account with trading 212. I haven’t deposited any money yet but used the recommendation on the MSE website to use Trading 212 and then had a mad panic. 
    Are they legit and is it normal to compete and share what I have.
    Looking to buy some shares and wanted an app format but as I said am worried now I may get scammed. 
    Thanks in advance 
    Yes, it’s normal, don’t worry and T212 is legitimate. It’s just to register you as a non-resident alien with the US authorities so you’ll be charged the 15% double taxation treaty rate on dividends and to state you’re not a US citizen. I cannot remember the last broker that offers US listed shares not to ask me to complete one.
  • Mckennsa
    Mckennsa Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for coming back and settling my nerves - I assume it also safe to link my bank account into the app too or is a debit card safer ? 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mckennsa said:
    I haven’t deposited any money yet but used the recommendation on the MSE website to use Trading 212
    I doubt that MSE recommended Trading212 as such, but you may have seen their name listed under caveats such as:
    Investing isn't MoneySavingExpert's area of expertise. So, we don't tell you here what the 'best' platform for you is, or give you any top picks. What we've done is pull out a mix of both cheaper platforms and well-known platforms for the two main types (DIY platforms and robo-investment platforms), so you have somewhere to start your own research in to which suits you best.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/stocks-shares-isas/#doityourself
  • morgmonster
    morgmonster Posts: 34 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mckennsa said:
    Thank you for coming back and settling my nerves - I assume it also safe to link my bank account into the app too or is a debit card safer ? 
    They use Truelayer/openbanking, several of my savings accounts use this method to move money, as well as Trading212. You still have to confirm the movement of the money with biometrics/passcodes etc. It's very safe and widely used in the UK. You can though use your debit card for the first £2000 that you deposit, if you prefer, but then you have to link an account.  I've been a T212 customer for a year, my investments are held in an ISA.
  • DUBVENDOR
    DUBVENDOR Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If you are this worried just by signing up . Are your really ready to invest . What will you be like if the the value of your holdings drop by 50% or more ? 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking to buy some shares and wanted an app format but as I said am worried now I may get scammed.  lose a lot of money

Other posters have put your mind at rest about getting scammed, but you will still have plenty to worry about, as buying individual shares is at the high risk end of investing,

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback