PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy deposit return

Options
Hi,
I will be moving out of the flat I have been renting for the last 14 years as the landlady is selling the flat. Can anyone advise if I will entitled to ask for return of my deposit? thanks

Comments

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Why do you think you wouldn't be entitled to have it returned?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April at 10:18AM
    Options
    It's your money, not landlord's.  (in law) If landlady wishes for any deductions she must either agree them with you (you don't have to agree) or go through deposit scheme adjudication process 

Just because she's selling doesn't mean the tenancy ends nor that you have to leave. Has she served you any formal notices (eg a section 31).

Probably about 6 months to evict you if you decline to depart until court order/ bailiffs.

She may wish to ££__ encourage you to depart....

Artful, Landlord since 2000
  • Ovaltine55
    Ovaltine55 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks . I've managed to find somewhere cheaper so will be moving out end of the month. I just wasn't clear about what happens to the deposit. I realise there will be wear and tear after 14 years but it's been my home so I've looked after it. Thanks again.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,689 Forumite
    Options
    You need to return the property in the same condition, less wear and tear. After 14 years, total redecorating is to be expected, but the place needs to be clean. So mucky ovens, stained loos and ripped wallpaper or dented plaster need dealing with. Take photos of everything, including down the loo pan.

Was there an incoming inventory? Is the deposit secured in a scheme.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,619 Forumite
    Options
    After 14 years as a landlord I'd expect no deductions, unless clearly daft damage.

i.e. would need complete redecorating, new flooring, probably new furniture.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 April at 6:25PM
    Options
    you are not liable for wear and tear, the landlord is. You are only responsible for actual damage you may have caused, or if you fail to clean to the same standard it was in when you moved in.
    See

Post 3: Deposits: Payment, Protection and Return.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback