Can family members volunteer for me!

Options
Hi all,

Could anyone point me in the right direction of this topic?

I have a homebaking business and I am registering for local market stalls. My children (15, 17 and 18 year old) are wanting to volunteer for me. Is this possible and if so, do I need a specific liability insurance / health and safety certificate for them?

They will all be completing a Food Hygiene course. 

With warm wishes!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that's not a problem, if they're happy to do so. Generations of market traders and small shopkeepers have enlisted family in this way.

But I think the place to ask is whoever is responsible for the market. There MAY be an issue if the 15yo is left 'in charge', and they may require whoever is 'in charge' to be 18+.

And I wouldn't say they are 'volunteers ' either. I'd just ask if it's OK to have teenagers helping run the stall, and if there are any age restrictions. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Could anyone point me in the right direction of this topic?

I have a homebaking business and I am registering for local market stalls. My children (15, 17 and 18 year old) are wanting to volunteer for me. Is this possible and if so, do I need a specific liability insurance 
    As you are talking immediate family members the law doesn't require you to hold Employers Liability insurance (which despite its name also covers volunteers and time only contractors) however you'd be free to buy it if you wanted to protect yourself from one of them suing you were they to be injured 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback