Airline Seat Reservations

Options
Hi All,

My family and I are travelling with Tui in August and I'm wondering whether I can 'hack' the seat reservation process. It's £12 per person per flight, so an additional £96 on top for the 4 of us. Tui state that they will always seat children with at least one parent in the same row, or not more than one row in front or behind.

So, I'm wondering if I can book two adult seats in a particular part of the plane where there is no option other than to seat my children next to me or my partner.

On the picture, Rows 7 & 9 are fully booked, but row 8 has 4 spare seats (8C-8F). If I booked one adult in seat 8C and one in 8D, will the booking system realise that there are two child seats required and automatically block out seats 8E & 8F? There are no seats in the row in front or behind or in the same row, so it should; based on their booking policy, block out the other two seats. But is the Tui booking system that intuitive?

Please note, this is just an idea. I won't be taking the risk of not sitting with my kids for the sake of £50, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this before and if so, what was the outcome? Chances are, I will wait until check-in opens to book the seats for free, but will be keeping an close eye on the bookings and if the seats appear to be filling up, I'll reserve them in advance.

Thanks

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I suspect that if you try to book a seat the system will require you to book seats for all passengers.  How old are the children as the seating with a parent requirement is age dependent.
  • nulladave
    nulladave Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    I suspect that if you try to book a seat the system will require you to book seats for all passengers.  How old are the children as the seating with a parent requirement is age dependent.
    I've checked this and gone right through to payment and the website hasn't flagged an issue.

They are both under 10. The age limit is 12 with Tui.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nulladave said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    I've checked this and gone right through to payment and the website hasn't flagged an issue.

They are both under 10. The age limit is 12 with Tui.
    It must have changed then as it used to be a requirement for all or none to take the pre-assignment option.

If you can navigate this work around then every chance 8EF might be selected by a couple prior to the free options being available.  The kids might be then allocated elsewhere with the two parents in 8CD having to later move to accommodate a child with each parent, so mum have one child close (8CD) and the other parent and child elsewhere in the cabin.

In the grand scheme of things would you not be better just having peace of mind now and paying the £12 pp and know you are all in a row together?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nulladave said:
    On the picture, Rows 7 & 9 are fully booked, but row 8 has 4 spare seats (8C-8F). If I booked one adult in seat 8C and one in 8D, will the booking system realise that there are two child seats required and automatically block out seats 8E & 8F? There are no seats in the row in front or behind or in the same row, so it should; based on their booking policy, block out the other two seats. But is the Tui booking system that intuitive?

As above, booking C&D would leave a pair free at E&F, so if you were to try the subset route, it would make more sense to book C&E or D&F, thereby leaving two single seats, which would probably be less appealing for anyone else choosing in advance.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I mean, it would make more sense just to book all four and not leave it to chance....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback