Got probate and transferred father's savings accounts to my mother, but what about the house?

Options
Searching the internet with this question all I find is that if they were tenants in common then the house automatically passes to my mother, but how 'automatic' is this?

When my mother comes to sell the house, will it just be a matter of showing my father's death certificate to the buyer (or more likely the buyers solicitor)?

Or do I need to do any bureaucratic procedure now to transfer the house to mother entirely?

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 April at 5:28PM
    Options
    Do you mean joint tenants? (if they were TiC then it may not go to mother) 

If joint then no need to do anything - my father died over 20 years before mother and on her death I discovered that the registration still had his name on it. I gave probate for mother and death cert for father to my solicitor when I sold the house and they did whatever magic was needed - didn't seem to faze them at all 
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ditto what @Flugelhorn said.  My parents house was sold without the registration having been changed after my Mum passed first - they just needed her death certificate and Dad's Grant of Probate - as required to sell the house.

With my aunt who passed most recently she had already changed the registration, so it was already in her own name, so needed nothing doing other than Probate when it sold.  When my husband passed, I put our house in my own name after a while - no plans to sell it yet.  It was depressingly easy to do - just one A4 form and I think I sent it with a death certificate.  I got a copy of the new registration back after a week or so.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sportacus said:
    Searching the internet with this question all I find is that if they were tenants in common then the house automatically passes to my mother, but how 'automatic' is this?
    If they were joint tenants, mother is now the sole tenant. No need to do anything.

If they were tenants in common, what dies the will say about the property?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 April at 2:18PM
    Options
    The Land Registry needs to be updated

https://www.gov.uk/update-property-records-someone-dies#:~:text=When a joint owner dies,copy of the death certificate.

Mine was done when I sold the house , 1year after  my husband's death.

If your mother is likely to stay  in the house for some time it might be better t do it now.
  • Sportacus
    Sportacus Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all, I've found out that my parents house is not registered with the land registry (they moved there in the 1970s), so it needs registering - it looks really complicated: https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/register-for-the-first-time, I think I might actually go with a solicitor for this (I was able to do getting probate myself).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback