Attendance Allowance (AA) - Annual Benefit Statement

Options
Just popping this here to share this information, which might save a lengthy wait on the phone to DWP, who are being inundated with calls on this subject at the moment. 

I have LPA for my father who suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. Dad was in receipt of AA when he lived at home and I cared for him. He suffered a stroke and spent a few months in hospital and was discharged straight to a residential care home, so his AA payments ceased in June 2015. 

On Saturday I received and AA Annual Benefit Statement setting out the payments Dad is entitled to from 08/04/24 and his 4 weekly entitlement. At the bottom of the statement it says "all amounts above are before any deductions. You may have deductions because of where you are staying, for example in a care home. We have already written to you about this. 

Having not received any correspondence regarding Dad's AA in five years I called to follow up. The call handler was very helpful and explained that these letters had been sent out for the first time this year, but that claimants were not aware they would receive them, so they have caused a lot of confusion and a huge increase in telephone calls to query the statements. She confirmed that an Attendance Allowance claim is only closed if the recipient passes away. If they enter a care home or receive deductions for any other reason, the claim remains open but not in payment. Dad doesn't receive payment as his care is part funded by our local authority. 

Hope this might be of help to anyone confused as to why they've been sent details of payments of rate year when the claim isn't in payment.  

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This is different than how my MiL was treated as when she went into hospital and then a care home her AA continued.  It was just my OH's carer's allowance that stopped.  The difference however is that MiL was fully funding her care home even thought it was paid up front by the local authority.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, that's right, my Dad is contributing his pensions (minus his personal allowance) and our Local Authority is contributing the rest. His payments stopped back in 2015 so it was a little confusing to receive a letter setting out his entitlement for this year (even though he won't receive any payment of AA). 
  • BristolBoxster
    Options
    Had the same letter for my Grandmother, who is fully funded by the LA in a care home. Have been trying to get through to DWP but the message just says they are experiencing high call volumes - and then cuts you off!
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had the same letter for my Grandmother, who is fully funded by the LA in a care home. Have been trying to get through to DWP but the message just says they are experiencing high call volumes - and then cuts you off!
    There's no need to call; I spoke with the DWP who clarified that the statement is sent to set out the entitlement, not what it being paid. As the LA is funding your Grandmother's care she won't be in receipt of payments, but this is what she would be entitled if she were. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback