Cupboard shelving

Options
danrv
danrv Posts: 1,446 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi
I've redecorated a washing machine cupboard and there's these old shelves that have been in place since buying the property.
Knocked up in a hurry by the looks of it. (Ex rental house).18mm Formica chipboard and bulky 2x1 around the upper edge.

Giving myself more work to do but looking at putting some better ones in. Four in total.
Could just paint the old ones but they're quite heavy and awkward to put in. They just lay on the supports in the cupboard. 
Considering some ply for strength with a baton underneath. Maybe something along the front edge to prevent anything falling off.
Won't be much going in but it's quite a useful area for storage.
Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Options
    If the existing shelves fit I'd use them as a template - especially if the cupboard isn't square (most aren't!) and it's a good fit.

MDF or Ply would work. - MDF edges might look better than ply once painted perhaps.

I'd think if the brackets are setup right then you'd not need anything at the front to stop stuff falling off - and might be irritating if you were sliding baskets in and out or something and had to lift over the 'lip'.

Guess it depends how far you want to go with it really!

I'd not think you'd need more support unless you were putting seriously heavy stuff on it - a batton at the back could be a good place to start if so. 

If you wanted to 'hide' the supports so the shelves looked to be 'floating' you could basically put a shelf above and below the bracket (perhaps thinner below!) and have a strip between the two - it may make the shelf too chunky though - depends what sort of look you want to go for!
  • ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Options
    If the existing shelves fit I'd use them as a template - especially if the cupboard isn't square (most aren't!) and it's a good fit.

MDF or Ply would work. - MDF edges might look better than ply once painted perhaps.

I'd think if the brackets are setup right then you'd not need anything at the front to stop stuff falling off - and might be irritating if you were sliding baskets in and out or something and had to lift over the 'lip'.

Guess it depends how far you want to go with it really!

I'd not think you'd need more support unless you were putting seriously heavy stuff on it - a batton at the back could be a good place to start if so. 

If you wanted to 'hide' the supports so the shelves looked to be 'floating' you could basically put a shelf above and below the bracket (perhaps thinner below!) and have a strip between the two - it may make the shelf too chunky though - depends what sort of look you want to go for!
  • danrv
    edited 15 April at 1:37PM
    Options
    ChilliBob said:
    My local Wickes has good stock of 18mm Ply and MDF. 2 x 1830mm x 606mm boards would be sufficient for four shelves. 
    Just need to cut them down to 780mm x 480mm sizes. 

Alternatively, there's my local building supplies/timber yard who can cut to any size you want. Just a bit expensive.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The cupboard looks like our old airing cupboard ,the shelves were fitted the same way .
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • womble12345
    womble12345 Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would just use melamine 15 or 18 mm from Wickes (in fact I just did) but I would also add a batten to the rear wall to support the shelf as well there which will help resist the shelves bending.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Where's the tumble drier? Would have thought having that on top of the washer would be sensible
  • danrv
    Options
    I would just use melamine 15 or 18 mm from Wickes 
    I remember that stuff. Used to be white or orange. Might have considered that if I'd have spotted it. 
    I did see some ready made veneer shelves in the store but they weren't quite deep enough.
    Have bought some plywood anyway. Good for the price and strong:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood-Sheet---18-x-606-x-1829mm/p/207747

• danrv
    Options
    Where's the tumble drier? Would have thought having that on top of the washer would be sensible
    Was mentioned before and did look into it a bit. I don't have central heating so would be useful.
    I think they might be a little expensive to run. I set up a clothes rack directly under one of my AC air handlers to speed up drying in colder months.
  • danrv
    edited 19 April at 4:07PM
    Options
    Have cut plywood to size using the old shelves as a template. Good idea as I don't think the walls are completely plumb.
    Plan to stain with Dulux Woodsheen and use Melamine edging for the front edge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254192638326?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5339017925&toolid=10049&customid=CjwKCAjwrIixBhBbEiwACEqDJQYVtyal8CagDK1dhtIEJeZJlEWGIiC7iBNXvL9xl-GwwwgWaLJiBBoCEMAQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback