Barclaycard interest rates notification

Options
Cookiepops
Cookiepops Posts: 377 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've been a customer of Barclaycard for years. I received an email from them to say the interest rate on my card is increasing, from 11.8% to 21.8% !  I understand everything increasing but nearly double! I've always made payments on time. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm looking at changing cards, any recommendations for other cards? Thanks
:heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you always make full payment on time then the interest rate is irrelevant because you never get charged.

I doubt you will find a credit card with a lower interest rate than 21.8
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,536 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks cheap.  Santander are increasing zero card rate to 23.9%.  However its irrelevant if you always pay in full.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you also had the notification that they are helpfully reducing the minimum monthly payment to 1% too.

Gives you "flexibility" don't you know...to pay less and accrue even more interest!!

But as you pay off in full each month, that doesn't effect you (or me) either.

I'm sure many borrowers will take them up on their offer mind.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I received a letter advising my repayment rate is going down to 1%.  The only way this would be useful if I was in a promotional period. Other than that my cards are cleared each month.
  • ihatebarclays_2
    Options
    I have the Barclaycard Rewards card and they emailed me to say they are increasing the interest rate from 16.94% to 25.07% from 22nd July. I always pay the balance in full so it won't affect me personally but this seems like a very steep increase for those who will have to pay.

What's great about the email is (a) it doesn't explain why the increase is so big, and (b) it says "we know there's [sic] other things that could be affecting your finances at the moment" without actually acknowledging that this might affect people's finances too.
  • Superhoopza
    Superhoopza Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the Barclaycard Rewards card and they emailed me to say they are increasing the interest rate from 16.94% to 25.07% from 22nd July. I always pay the balance in full so it won't affect me personally but this seems like a very steep increase for those who will have to pay.

What's great about the email is (a) it doesn't explain why the increase is so big, and (b) it says "we know there's [sic] other things that could be affecting your finances at the moment" without actually acknowledging that this might affect people's finances too.
    Yeah similar to when Santander raised the interest rate, said let us know if you are struggling with your finances, I spoke to them on chat and said (not true but it didn't help) that I wasn't struggling until they raised the interest rate, they told me it can't be changed. So they don't care if you're struggling financially.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback