Income tax and pensioners

Options
dog_nanny
dog_nanny Posts: 48 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I've just realised that the combination of freezing the personal tax allowance and increasing state pension has put my Mother's income about £200 above the personal allowance.

Is it her (i.e. my) responsibility to point this out to HMRC? Or will they spot it themselves? Or will they not bother to chase a 90 year-old pensioner for £40 of tax?

She has no other income so is not on PAYE. As far as I know she has had no contact with HMRC since retiring 30 years ago.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless the personal allowance amounts change what will likely happen in this case is that she will be sent a tax bill after the event for £40. So suggest she keeps 80p a week aside for it. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Unless the personal allowance amounts change what will likely happen in this case is that she will be sent a tax bill after the event for £40. So suggest she keeps 80p a week aside for it. 
    Or pay it for her as a mother's day present.

Frankly I keep thinking one of the political parties will spot this and use it as a reason to increase the personal allowance given the amount of work and cost it will incur to deal with these small amounts.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It will be interesting to see how they deal with collecting these small tax amounts as there is going to be a massive increase in pensioners due tax with no other income. My sister in law's tax account shows this year's tax free amount at -£175.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    Frankly I keep thinking one of the political parties will spot this and use it as a reason to increase the personal allowance given the amount of work and cost it will incur to deal with these small amounts.  
    Where would you draw the line?  Some will be receiving substantially more than £12,570....
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Brie said:
    Where would you draw the line?  Some will be receiving substantially more than £12,570....
    Increasing the PA to at least the amount of the basic New State Pension seems the obvious solution, no need to go mad.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    eskbanker said:
    Brie said:
    Increasing the PA to at least the amount of the basic New State Pension seems the obvious solution, no need to go mad.
    The PA of £12,570 is already above the basic New State Pension (circa £11.5K), but those on the old scheme can earn significantly more....
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April at 4:11PM
    Options
    Brie said:

It would be an equally valid move to end the Triple Lock to save the state pensioners from the burden of income tax ;)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,870 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My state pension already exceeds my personal allowance so I have some experience of this.  I do not any longer have to file self assessment & have been told that even if I do they will ignore it.  So what happens next.  HMRC will do what they call a simple assessment.  It is basically their version of what the self assessment would be.  Check it carefully as the DWP are notorious for notifying the incorrect state pension figure (more later).  This should arrive in about the July after the end of the tax year with payment due by the end of the next January.  So it is not urgent.
    As an aside to this despite what people say HMRC are understaffed & now frankly underskilled whoever you speak to on the phone can mostly, unless you are lucky, say what the script says.  I do worry that the more of this the aged systems have to deal with the slower they will become, as in July could become October.
    As for the correct state pension figure.  Most years this is made up of one week at the old rate & 51 weeks at the new.  DWP usually notify 52 weeks at the new.  It doesn't sound much different does it.  But if your state pension is enough to pay tax on on its own then it is over £200.  10% increase is £20 which is £4 in tax that would not actually be due.  I believe in paying every penny due but not a single penny that isn't
  • Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 April at 5:01PM
    Options
    The underpayment tolerance was £50 last time I remember although I had heard it had increased - can’t remember what to and, therefore, I may have dreamt it. 

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/sme-tax-news/636-paye-tolerances
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 April at 5:23PM
    Options
    Ferro said:
    The underpayment tolerance was £50 last time I remember although I had heard it had increased - can’t remember what to and, therefore, I may have dreamt it. 

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/sme-tax-news/636-paye-tolerances
    Someone recently posted about a small overpayment and following a conversation with HMRC says they were told £50 is still the figure (for tax owed to HMRC).

But whether that is true I don't know.  About 10-12 years it was well publicised as £300 but that can only have been temporary.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback