Co-op and Coventry and YBS regular savers closure and reopen?

Options
gele
gele Posts: 275 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 14 April at 9:54AM in Savings & investments
Hi all.
I opened these 3 regular savers in March with the idea that on maturity they could go into next years ISA. However I am slightly concerned that if I fund them to the max, it will push me into paying tax on savings for this year. I'm wondering if any of these [Cov and YBS are the loyalty ones paying 6.75% and 7%] can be closed without any penalty and reopened immediately to take the interest into the next tax year. Is this possible without penalty for any of them and has anyone done it successfully? Thanks

Comments

• allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 870 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gele said:
    Hi all.
    I opened these 3 regular savers in March with the idea that on maturity they could go into next years ISA. However I am slightly concerned that if I fund them to the max, it will push me into paying tax on savings for this year. I'm wondering if any of these [Cov and YBS are the loyalty ones paying 6.75% and 7%] can be closed without any penalty and reopened immediately to take the interest into the next tax year. Is this possible without penalty for any of them and has anyone done it successfully? Thanks
    Coventry - in my understanding if you close the account there will be a charge equal to 30 calendar days' interest.
    No charge for closing YBS or Co-op.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    While there is no charge to close YBS Loyalty at 7%, it is NLA so you would only be able to reopen one of the currently available (worse) accounts. There is a withdrawal day, so you could use that to reduce the balance and deposit the proceeds in another account that will be taxed in 25/26 instead. There's only one withdrawal day for the term though, so you'll need to think carefully about when to use it (would you be better off if you funded it for a bit longer first?)
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AFAIK, there is no minimum monthly deposit required for the COOP, Coventry and YBS Regular Savers. This means you can control how much interest you get from these accounts.
  • gele
    edited 14 April at 11:22AM
    Options
    Thanks all. Yes I knew about the monthly deposits so controlling interest is an option. I would have liked to still fund them but get interest next year that's the thing. Anyway that's my fault I should have held off opening til after April 6 in hindsight. As for YBS it makes sense to keep and will withdraw in next couple of months before funding again at a low amount. Coventry will have to remain open and i will fund again at a low amount.
    The co-op one is interesting as it seems I could just close that one now. Does anyone see an issue arising with me closing it now and reopening in a week so that the new one matures in 24/25 tax year?
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 870 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gele said:
    The co-op one is interesting as it seems I could just close that one now. Does anyone see an issue arising with me closing it now and reopening in a week so that the new one matures in 24/25 tax year?
    You can close and reopen, I can't see why not.  However, many on here reported that they've had trouble opening Co-op RS online. It looks like there is a bit of chaos in Co-op system. I've opened mine without any problems, but it might be worth considering the probability of bad luck.
  • gele
    Options
    Yes I opened mine without a problem too online. I might give it a go as I probably wont fund it otherwise which would be a shame as I will have the funds to do so this year and get the benefit early next year,
    Thanks 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure