Splitting axe (axe head)

Options
Only recently learned that an axe was not an axe, which really shouldn't have surprised me but there you go.
Turns out I've been using a felling axe to work my way through logs so I went & bought a splitting axe, or rather a 'splitting maul' as it's listed.

When it came it was different to any axe I'd ever used previously - in that the blade was tiny. Basically it's only really about 3" across. Axe's I've used previously have seemed a decent bit wider.

Is this what splitting axe's/mauls are like then or is this actually quite small?

I don't want to start using it, find out it's a bit poor (even though reviews suggest otherwise, generally speaking) & then be unable to return it. 

Just expected the blade head to be longer that's all.

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have the 8lb roughneck, it's pretty decent.  A larger head would spread the impact; a maul is about brute force.
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm no expert but I just imagine a small head like the one I've bought wont be as good when it comes to splitting. I imagine it will bed in to the logs more whereas a larger head is more likely to split the log (Sooner) than bed in?

• fisher66
    fisher66 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My maul just looks like a sledge hammer but one end of the head is shaped like an axe, it's not sharp, just pointed like a wedge. I've used it to split hundreds of logs over the last decade and it works brilliantly.  Not sure I'd want one with a small head.
  • fisher66
    fisher66 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April at 7:45PM
    Options
    Mine's like this but it has a fibrelass handle.

https://images.app.goo.gl/914gn5wu3vHibDb48
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It'll be a lot easier to split logs with the maul than it was with a felling axe. You may need to change your technique a little as it's weighted differently, but it will be much more effective. 
  • B0bbyEwing
    Options
    fisher66 said:
    My maul just looks like a sledge hammer but one end of the head is shaped like an axe, it's not sharp, just pointed like a wedge. I've used it to split hundreds of logs over the last decade and it works brilliantly.  Not sure I'd want one with a small head.
    Same. That's why I'm here to try & find more info as to whether it gets kept or not. May be better trying some wood chopper forum though it seems, if one exists.

fisher66 said:
    Mine's like this but it has a fibrelass handle.

https://images.app.goo.gl/914gn5wu3vHibDb48
    This one does too.

But that gives no insight in to the head size whatsoever.

greenbee said:
    It'll be a lot easier to split logs with the maul than it was with a felling axe. You may need to change your technique a little as it's weighted differently, but it will be much more effective. 
    Which is why I bought it.
    But didn't expect the head to be as small as it is - hence being here asking about it.

Will try find a wood chopping forum then.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I got me one of these a few years back - https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb762lsp-corded-brushless-37cm-log-splitter-1-5kw/649gf (ouch, £100 more than I paid). It struggles with really big rounds, but nothing a chainsaw won't fix.
    Had fibreglass handled hammers & axes, but kept breaking them..

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Reddleman79
    Reddleman79 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I have a splitting maul with hickory handle. Superb piece of kit. The only logs I find difficult are elm, but ash, oak, and beech split easily.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    Options
    Would have thought Oak more valuable as timber rather than turning it into logs to burn.
  • B0bbyEwing
    Options
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Would have thought Oak more valuable as timber rather than turning it into logs to burn.
    What if someone has sorted you out with a few small sized logs that need chopping down for the fire but are too small to do anything with?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback