PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Separation with 2 homes

Options
Hi,

Im hoping someone will know the answer to this.

i am currently in a long term relationship but we are not married. We own 2 properties both in joint names and with both our names on the deeds of each. We are looking at separation, if we were to transfer the deeds so each of us had one property each, of which we would be the sole resident, would we still need to pay capital gains tax when one of us sells in the future? Neither property has ever been rented out, we just have 2 homes so we haven’t pulled an income from them.

if we do pay capital gains I am assuming this would be on the second property we bought (the one with the higher stamp duty cost)? Property was bought over 3 years ago so there is no scope to reclaim higher stamp duty.

Trying to make sure that one of us doesn’t end up at a disadvantage if they end up with a CGT bill when the other wouldn’t (amicable and we want to be fair to each other)

thanks

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Which property has been your main residence? This one will have no CGT liability if/when it is sold.
    The property which is not your main residence (2nd home, whatever) will have a CGT liability if/when sold. The fact that it was never let out or generated an income is irrelevant.
  • Jogging23
    Jogging23 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 April at 9:00PM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. The first house was our main residence. The second house we bought to use as a holiday property for ourselves. I just didn’t know if CGT still applies if the first house would no longer be my main residence because I’d be moving into the holiday property so that would become my main residence, currently I’d have no plans to sell. It was just on the off chance I did in the future after it had been my main residence for a few years. Thanks
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jogging23 said:
    Hi,

Im hoping someone will know the answer to this.

i am currently in a long term relationship but we are not married. We own 2 properties both in joint names and with both our names on the deeds of each. We are looking at separation, if we were to transfer the deeds so each of us had one property each, of which we would be the sole resident, would we still need to pay capital gains tax when one of us sells in the future? Neither property has ever been rented out, we just have 2 homes so we haven’t pulled an income from them.

if we do pay capital gains I am assuming this would be on the second property we bought (the one with the higher stamp duty cost)? Property was bought over 3 years ago so there is no scope to reclaim higher stamp duty.

Trying to make sure that one of us doesn’t end up at a disadvantage if they end up with a CGT bill when the other wouldn’t (amicable and we want to be fair to each other)

thanks

There are some complicated capital gains tax rules for exchanges of jointly owned properties https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg73000 (sometimes called a partition) which can involve a rollover relief.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback