Anyone found a well on their land and how did you do it?

Options

Comments

• glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Google 'where to find old maps of your area' - or ask around for a local historian.
    Many wells are marked on old Ordnance Survey maps. There's a vast library of OS maps in the National Library of Scotland's online collection:

https://maps.nls.uk/os/
  • stuhse
    stuhse Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 April at 10:38PM
    Options
    Look at the original deeds of the house, plans may well show it.  They did on our house, and whilst they weren't accurate I eventually found it. Ask previous occupants, relatives, people who have lived in the area for years.   
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Almost 12 months to the day since our builder called me at work to explain they found this whist digging out foundations for the front gable supports.......apparently all the neighbours have one too. 

It was literally by the front door, use to park our 2.5 ton car just above it  :open_mouth:.

• MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 11:48AM
    Options

I find it incredible how these wells were constructed in the first place - I mean sending people down such a narrow unsupported hole to dig - how many collapsed and killed the workers during construction ?

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,888 Forumite
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    You don't dig down that depth before building the brickwork up. You dig down a few feet, then build the brickwork. You then dig under the brickwork and let the brickwork drop. You then build on top of the brickwork and dig under again.
    This way the ground won't give way as the circle of bricks stop this happening. 
    The modern technique with precast concrete segments is to dig down three or four rings worth then grout these into the surrounding ground.  Then dig down further and 'hang' the next ring (or two) of segments off the one above.  Then repeat the grouting and hanging process until you reach the bottom.  The top ring of segments stays at the top.

Makes things much easier when you can use bolts rather than mortar.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,888 Forumite
    Options
    I've had Severn Trent water at my house divining to find the water main route, so it does work! 

There are probably more companies using divining (unofficially), but their PR departments are too smart to admit it after previous press/social media outcries.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    Section62 said:
    I've had Severn Trent water at my house divining to find the water main route, so it does work! 

There are probably more companies using divining (unofficially), but their PR departments are too smart to admit it after previous press/social media outcries.
    In my construction days I saw it used successfully, usually after other tools had been tried though. If you're at the point you're going to have to trial dig, you may as well. It's not like a couple of bits of tube and a bent coat hanger take up much space in the boot.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Options
    In my construction days I saw it used successfully, usually after other tools had been tried though.
    Triple cough...
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    @gzoom
                   Did you keep any of the bricks, there might have been a makers mark on them that could help date it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback