New install, 14 days cooling off starts when?

Options
mikrt
mikrt Posts: 145 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I ordered, through a comparison site, Onestream Supreme Full Fibre 80, on behalf of my 80+ year old aunty.

I have her account set up on my home pc to keep an eye on things for her.

The deal we signed up for, was something like £22/m plus about £10/m for router, phoneline & minutes.

I am gobsmacked to find the total on her first bill is going to be £83.33/m (and that's after a promo discount!)

Payment will be taken in 4 days, and I'm not looking forward to telling her tomorrow.

The service went live last Friday 5th April, but I can see their contract says 14 days from arrival of equipment, or date they write to you to confirm we accept your order, which was 8th March. Is that the law? I am hoping it's from start of service, but I'm clutching straws.

I just went to get a price direct with Onestream and it's only £20/m + extras!

I'll have an online chat with in the morning, and I'm hoping it's a mistake, but I'm not confident. 

Supreme Full Fibre 80

20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024£97.76
Phoneline+ 750
20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024£23.86
Superstream Router

20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024£11.72
Promotional Discount

20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024-£50.02
£83.33

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    That bill covers 72 days.

The only odd thing is the 20th March start of billing date.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mikrt said:
    I ordered, through a comparison site, Onestream Supreme Full Fibre 80, on behalf of my 80+ year old aunty.

I have her account set up on my home pc to keep an eye on things for her.

The deal we signed up for, was something like £22/m plus about £10/m for router, phoneline & minutes.

I am gobsmacked to find the total on her first bill is going to be £83.33/m (and that's after a promo discount!)

Payment will be taken in 4 days, and I'm not looking forward to telling her tomorrow.

The service went live last Friday 5th April, but I can see their contract says 14 days from arrival of equipment, or date they write to you to confirm we accept your order, which was 8th March. Is that the law? I am hoping it's from start of service, but I'm clutching straws.

I just went to get a price direct with Onestream and it's only £20/m + extras!

I'll have an online chat with in the morning, and I'm hoping it's a mistake, but I'm not confident. 

Supreme Full Fibre 80

20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024£97.76
    Phoneline+ 750
    20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024£23.86
    Superstream Router

20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024£11.72
    Promotional Discount

20th Mar 2024 – 31st May 2024-£50.02

£83.33

Where are you getting £83.33 a month from?

From what you've posted - the bill covers 2 and a bit months - So that's around £35ish a month? That seems to come close to your £22 a month and £10ish a month that you've quoted?

Am I missing something?

20th March to 31st of May is 9-10 weeks?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • mikrt
    edited 11 April at 8:59PM
    Options
    Wow, thank you for quick replies. 

I feel such a d*ck right now, but a happier one than I was an hour ago.

I can't believe I missed that, I missed April, I just had a mild panic when I saw the number. 

Thank you so much

Edit... 
    I will get in touch tomorrow, the start date is wrong, 20th march was an aborted 1st connection date, actual was 5th April. 
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The 14 days is from placing the order. As already mentioned, they seem to be billing you for two months+. They mention advance billing here, although your billing dates don't seem to align correctly.

Did you research them beforehand ? They are a bit of a "Marmite" company They have some unusual pricing practices - charging for routers and automatically adding free trials which become chargeable.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mikrt said:

I can't believe I missed that, I missed April, I just had a mild panic when I saw the number. 

Thank you so much

When does the 'promotional discount' end? Is it end of contract? If so remember to be ready to change or negotiate a new deal. Don't let it fall into a rolling contract without the promo discount.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • mikrt
    Options
    mikrt said:

Thank you so much

When does the 'promotional discount' end? Is it end of contract? If so remember to be ready to change or negotiate a new deal. Don't let it fall into a rolling contract without the promo discount.
    It's 24 months, calendar marked a month before that. 
  • mikrt
    Options
    littleboo said:
    The 14 days is from placing the order. As already mentioned, they seem to be billing you for two months+. They mention advance billing here, although your billing dates don't seem to align correctly.

Did you research them beforehand ? They are a bit of a "Marmite" company They have some unusual pricing practices - charging for routers and automatically adding free trials which become chargeable.
    I use them as my own isp, and so far, so good.

I use my own router without a phone. Deleted mccafee and service thingy (for aunt too) 
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    littleboo said:
    The 14 days is from placing the order. .
    This is what BT says

Your right to cancel

You can cancel your order up to 14 days from when your service starts, or kit arrives, whichever is latest. You'll need to pay for anything you've used, and you'll have to return the kit we've sent you, at your own cost, within 14 days of telling us you want to cancel. Then we'll refund anything you've paid for that kit within 14 days of getting it back.
  • mikrt
    Options
    littleboo said:
    This is what BT says

Your right to cancel

You can cancel your order up to 14 days from when your service starts, or kit arrives, whichever is latest. You'll need to pay for anything you've used, and you'll have to return the kit we've sent you, at your own cost, within 14 days of telling us you want to cancel. Then we'll refund anything you've paid for that kit within 14 days of getting it back.
    Yes, it was 14 days from start of service when I tried Vodafone a few years ago, it was messing up my sky somehow, and managed to cancel. 

I was a little concerned when I went to Onestream as they use Vodafone, but it's fine. I guess it was something to do with their branded router but I don't know. 

Anyway, everything's good now thanks. 
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    littleboo said:
    This is what BT says

Your right to cancel

Its not BT. Onestream,which as already mentioned by the OP, is 14 days from the acknowledgement of the order or receipt of equipment (if any), whichever is later. So if there is no equipment, its pretty much from the when the order is placed, depending on how you interpret "the date we write to you to confirm we accept your order" Presumably that could be an email 30 seconds after you press "Submit"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback