P53 or P53z

Options
Hello I am in the process of making a lump sum withdrawal from a small pension pot. This will be the 2nd withdrawal , the 1st was 25% tax free . The latest withdrawal is for year 23/24. I was told by the pension people I would pay emergency tax and have to claim it back,form HMRC, in the email it said use a P53z. form.
I rang HMRC the other day about this p45 or letter from pension company  that  is also needed and they said I needed a P53 form  .
I gather from google the difference between a P53 and P53z is taxable income.My only income for the year is another small pension £45 per month and interest from savings . So will it be the P53 or P53z, thanks for any advice

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello I am in the process of making a lump sum withdrawal from a small pension pot. This will be the 2nd withdrawal , the 1st was 25% tax free . The latest withdrawal is for year 23/24. I was told by the pension people I would pay emergency tax and have to claim it back,form HMRC, in the email it said use a P53z. form.
    I rang HMRC the other day about this p45 or letter from pension company  that  is also needed and they said I needed a P53 form  .
    I gather from google the difference between a P53 and P53z is taxable income.My only income for the year is another small pension £45 per month and interest from savings . So will it be the P53 or P53z, thanks for any advice

That doesn't make sense, you cannot be in the process of making a withdrawal for 2023-24 now we are in the 2024-25 tax year.

Or do you have already successfully taken the money out in 2023-24?
  • cherryade44
    cherryade44 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April at 6:44PM
    Options

That doesn't make sense, you cannot be in the process of making a withdrawal for 2023-24 now we are in the 2024-25 tax year.

The withdrawal request was made on the 3rd of April just before the end of the tax year, I haven't got the money yet, it could take 10 working days
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

The withdrawal request was made on the 3rd of April just before the end of the tax year, I haven't got the money yet, it could take 10 working days
    So it's not going to a 2023-24 withdrawal then, it will be for 2024-25.
  • cherryade44
    Options

No, I was told the date that counted was the date I requested the money not when I received it. Not sure why I even mentioned the date, it's not really relevant
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello I am in the process of making a lump sum withdrawal from a small pension pot. This will be the 2nd withdrawal , the 1st was You can claim back any tax we owe you on a pension lump sum with form P53Z if:
    • you’re reclaiming tax because you’ve flexibly accessed all of your pension
    • you’ve received a serious ill health lump sum — to reclaim, in year, any overpaid tax on these lump sums

You’ll need to use form P53 instead if you have taken:

• all of your pension as cash — trivial commutation of a pension fund

• a small pension as a lump sum

% tax free . The latest withdrawal is for year 23/24. I was told by the pension people I would pay emergency tax and have to claim it back,form HMRC, in the email it said use a P53z. form.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-tax-refund-when-youve-flexibly-accessed-all-of-your-pension-p53z

You can claim back any tax we owe you on a pension lump sum with form P53Z if:

• you’re reclaiming tax because you’ve flexibly accessed all of your pension
    • you’ve received a serious ill health lump sum — to reclaim, in year, any overpaid tax on these lump sums

You’ll need to use form P53 instead if you have taken:

• all of your pension as cash — trivial commutation of a pension fund

• a small pension as a lump sum

• Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

No, I was told the date that counted was the date I requested the money not when I received it. Not sure why I even mentioned the date, it's not really relevant
    I also hold the view that it is the date of payment, not the date of request. That would also appear to be the approach of HL with my wife’s SIPP. 
  • cherryade44
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I was told on the phone about the dates regarding the tax year by the provider, however they could be mistaken I will ring HMRC again tomorrow and see what they say, last time it took 1 hour to get through
  • cherryade44
    Options

Just logged onto gov gateway, you are correct the lump sum has been allocated to 24/25 ,so I apologise for doubting you. I was definitely told it would be last years tax year, so I feel I've either misunderstood or been misled, either way it could be a problem for me now . Oh dear 
  • Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I was told on the phone about the dates regarding the tax year by the provider, however they could be mistaken I will ring HMRC again tomorrow and see what they say, last time it took 1 hour to get through
    Try 8am - many are of the view that lines don’t open until 9am
  • cherryade44
    Options
    Once again thanks  for all your advice and help. Got through to HMRC , only took 45 mins this time. Apparently it's the P53z form I need. Rang pension people too about the P45 that needs to accompany the P53z, which was hard work , they said they will email it, which could take 2 days. They have apologised for telling  me it would count to 23/24 tax year, which might  cost me , as I haven't given up on finding a job this year. Thanks again for all your input :smile:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback