Is this investment worth it?

Options
I recently wanted to take my max dividends from my small company, pay the tax (at 8.75%) and invest in stocks and shares Isas.  Accountant says why bother, you pay all that tax? However, if I do nothing money sits in business account not doing much.  What do people think?
I appreciate stocks and shares are not a given...!!!

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What does your small company do? 

Did you ask your accountant what they recommended your company should invest the money in?

You could ask your accountant to show you the effect on the amount of money you personally have available to spend if you invest through your company, or withdraw the money, pay Corporation Tax, and invest it personally in an ISA. If you assume the same investment return for each option, you can see the effect of each choice. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jazzy23
    jazzy23 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh he wouldnt stretch to that am sure - I am just a small training company.  I will have a look and see what I can do- thanks
  • NorthernJoe
    NorthernJoe Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Open a general investment account for the LTD company? 
  • jazzy23
    Options
    thanks, thats useful to know. 
  • jazzy23
    Options
    I have spare cash in my small business and my accountant has always said, leave it there so you dont pay the 8.75 dividend tax - however, I think I should be taking it an investing it in S&S Isas - as surely compound interest over time is better than leaving it in a business account which pays little interest?
    and on that note, anyone got any good business savings accounts they can recommend?
    I have, before anyone suggests it, started to put money straight into a pension.

thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 April at 12:38PM
    Options
    I have spare cash in my small business and my accountant has always said, leave it there so you dont pay the 8.75 dividend tax - however, I think I should be taking it an investing it in S&S Isas - as surely compound interest over time is better than leaving it in a business account which pays little interest?
    If you put it in an S&S ISA, you have to draw it from the company and pay dividend tax.

I have, before anyone suggests it, started to put money straight into a pension.
    Pension beats ISA in this scenario provided you don't need the money before age 57/58.     That is why they get mentioned.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EthicsGradient
    EthicsGradient Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 April at 12:38PM
    Options
    jazzy23 said:
    and on that note, anyone got any good business savings accounts they can recommend?

thanks
    Perhaps this depends on whether your business will need more cash in the future. If it might, then leaving the cash in the business might be better than withdrawing it as a dividend, paying some tax, and then having to put some back in again. If the cash needs will always be meetable with the business revenue (or by cutting the dividend you take out in the future, which would also have attracted the dividend tax), then it may be better to take it out now and see it grow faster, in an ISA.

Is this a business you will eventually sell or pass on to someone else (in which case the value of cash held in the business at the time, and how the sale is taxed, may be a factor)? Or is it a business that will be completely wound up and all cash removed (as a dividend?) when you retire? That might influence why your accountant says what they do.
  • jazzy23
    Options
    completely wound up - only me,no dependents - thanks for the ideas
    regards
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your company could pay into your pension?

Or open an account with like of Flagstone to get business savings accounts 
  • jazzy23
    Options
    Allica  have good rates I found too
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts