Data sim recommendations

Options
Nebulous2
Nebulous2 Posts: 5,120 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I've a friend using a 4g router, who doesn't want / need a broadband connection as future accommodation plans are uncertain. They are using more data than I expected however.

Any recommendations for a data sim?

I'd prefer open-ended usage rather than a 30 day limit. 

Argos do an EE one with 120Gb valid for 12 months for £60.

Any better suggestions? 

Comments

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The most important factor is to establish which networks provide an acceptable signal where they live.

It's no use people recommending deals involving (for example) the Vodafone network if the signal is poor. 

Which networks are suitable? 
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    Neil49 said:
    The most important factor is to establish which networks provide an acceptable signal where they live.

It's no use people recommending deals involving (for example) the Vodafone network if the signal is poor. 

Which networks are suitable? 
    Thanks - they are in a moderate sized rural town, which should have decent coverage on most networks. There is no 5g. 

The router is currently on EE and is working fine. Our phones are Vodafone and they are fine there as well. The checker on the 3 website says it has good coverage as well. 

They've used about 8 GB in the last week which is a surprise, as I thought it was only some Facebook and online banking. I'm hoping that is partly explained by a laptop and iPad catching up on updates and it will settle down. 
  • ladruid
    ladruid Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 April at 11:09AM
    Options
    I know its not really what you looking for, but chucking it in the mix as its what I know about.

Giffgaff unlimited sim, monthly rolling £35. Supports 4G & 5G works fine in Archer MR200 router and TP-Link M7350, decent speeds if you live in a good O2 area. Currently use one of these in a farmhouse miles from anywhere that only can get poor line broadband speeds. Use about 350GB a month, works fine with Netflix HD, Prime Video HD.

If you know your average monthly usage, you might be able to get away with a £10 for 15GB or £12 for 25GB.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Once settled on the best network use
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only/ for a suitable data amount.50GB, 100GB or unlimited.

Double check any T&Cs regarding 'tethering' limits being different and/or if use in a MiFi router is prohibited?  Just in case.
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only/ for a suitable data amount.50GB, 100GB or unlimited.

Double check any T&Cs regarding 'tethering' limits being different and/or if use in a MiFi router is prohibited?  Just in case.

Thanks - it looks like a sim-only deal will work, it doesn't need to be a specific data sim. Conditions for most of them seem to say that tethering is allowed. 
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/scancom/s?k=scancom.

I've been relying on one of these in my refurb 3 branded 4g router for ten months, and apart from the occasional outage on the network signal it has been very reliable. 
  • peroni1984
    peroni1984 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smarty run off of Three and I have been very pleased with them. £20 for unlimited data and tethering. They're currently doing a deal for 50gb for £8 if that's enough. https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans
    Re-mortgaged Oct 2021 £385459 Originally ends Oct 2049
    MFW 22 - 2385/3830
    Current daily interest 16.22
    Current end date Jul 2049
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 April at 11:07AM
    Options
    Rodders53 said:

I used this tool recently to find the unlimited TalkMobile £16p/m sim that I purchased - they use Vodafone which is the strongest signal in my area. It's plugged into a 4G+ router and get anything up to 80Mbps download.

I've been putting it to the test the last few days, working from home, downloading large games from Steam, streaming Netflix in 4k etc. It's all been fine, if slower than I'm used to on the downloading.

I intend to use it for at least 3 months, which I believe is the length of time between telling Virgin Media to Foxtrot Oscar and when I can go back and get a decent deal from them as a new customer :) 
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. 

To let you know how it has gone. 

I was offered an existing customer deal by Vodafone. £10 for unlimited minutes / texts and 100gb of data. 12 month contract. I've put the sim card in their router, and it's working fine. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback