Home insurance question-retired or not employed due to disability.

Options
Hi folks,

Before state pension age on home insurance I used to put when asked "not employed due to disability" as I do have certain medical condition and was in receipt of ESA. I was also retired from my job on medical grounds many years ago.

Now that I have reached state pension age, what do you think is the best way to address this question for home insurance. I'm leaning towards just putting in "retired" as the correct answer, though I do think it will probably put up premium.

I do want to do the right thing though to be on the safe side.

Thanks for advice.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,928 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm leaning towards just putting in "retired" as the correct answer, though I do think it will probably put up premium.

I may be wrong but I'd always thought that, if anything 'retired' would bring down premiums as it suggests that it's more likely for the occupants to be home all day so less risk of burglary etc...
  • anotherquestion
    anotherquestion Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, not so sure about that as retired may have more disposable income, so as to the original question, just wonder what is the correct way to answer it.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you didnt have this medical condition would you still be working?
    Are you receiving any form of pension?
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, not so sure about that as retired may have more disposable income, 
    I wish! I would expect retired to be cheaper.
  • anotherquestion
    anotherquestion Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April at 7:02PM
    Options
    Thanks for replies, after contacting Tesco insurance, they have advised that retired is the correct answer to enter. After increasing the voluntary excess to £500 for both building and contents they have come back with another quote of £377, that's down from £559  initially but with a bigger excess on the cheaper quote and no accidental damage on contents, but accidental damage on buildings.

I have used a good few comparison sites but overall I find calling the insurer directly in this case Tesco can give me a far better price.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback