Back billing outcome

Options
Ahmed
Ahmed Posts: 45 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
I had an horrendous experience with my supplier.
When I moved to them they put totally wrong name on my bill and numerous requests to amend failed on deaf ears, only a complaint to the ICO did some make contact and even then wanted my passport, refused and threatened to cancel the DD and hey presto they changed it.

I could register for billing and it showed £1400 debit and only 3 months before did they amend the DD from £133 to over £300, ignored my request to make it usage plus £60.

I complained to the ombudsman and have win my case, I've got some compensation and also

"will require XXXX to review your account for backbilling 12 months prior to the debt recovery date of 31 October 2023, being 31 October 2022 and look to remove all charges from the previous charge recovery date 16 July 2022 to 31 October 2022"

Now does this mean they have to cancel the charges for this period,? If so as I paid by DD, are they obliged to pay it back?

Thanks

Comments

• Ahmed
    Options
    Anyone can offer insight?
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 April at 4:17PM
    Options
    If I'm reading your description right, then if your account is in credit, they can use any of that credit to pay for the usage between 16 July 2022 to 31 October 2022, and the rest is removed from your bill. If you're not in credit, they should remove the charges between those dates from your bill.

If you've paid for usage during that period, you cannot claim that back.

What are the supplier saying they will do?

Have you read the backbilling rules?
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,317 Forumite
    edited 12 April at 8:20AM
    Options
    I think that's correct, they can't ask for new money to pay for usage more than 12 months back, but they can assign credit they already hold.

It's even been stated that they can reassign more recent payments, putting that money towards those more than 12 months bills, then chasing you to pay again for the recent bill. I have my doubts because if that was truly the case there'd be no protection at all.
  • Ahmed
    Options
    If I'm reading your description right, then if your account is in credit, they can use any of that credit to pay for the usage between 16 July 2022 to 31 October 2022, and the rest is removed from your bill. If you're not in credit, they should remove the charges between those dates from your bill.

If you've paid for usage during that period, you cannot claim that back.

What are the supplier saying they will do?

Have you read the backbilling rules?
    Hi, Not read the back billing rules, did a search and some info came up but wasn't clear to me.

I was over 1400 in debt but this has been reduced as they more than doubled our DD without any warning and only came aware when OD.

TBH this is BG and they are woeful on communications. It only took complaints to the communications commissioner and energy ombudsman to make progress. I've cancelled the DD as moving away from this shower. We had an energy use spike earlier this year and they have failed to explain it as we are on smart meters and we weren't using any more than normal (nearly 3X normal use)
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,317 Forumite
    Options
    Ahmed said:

We had an energy use spike earlier this year and they have failed to explain it as we are on smart meters and we weren't using any more than normal (nearly 3X normal use)
    If they ahow your smart meter data you should be able to see that "spike" down to half hourly intervals. Or use a third party application like Bright to read the meter independently of BG.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback