Body shop prices - advice/experience requested!

Options
Hello all!

I have a 2017 VW Golf estate. There's no major issues with it, but in the course of 90k miles, it's acquired some battle damage. I was hoping to get a body shop to touch up three minor bits of damage, but I've been left absolutely astonished by the range of quotes and wondered if anyone could maybe put this into context for me - I'm fairly ignorant about cars, clearly it's potentially going to cost me, and I don't yet have the confidence to ask the shops themselves about this!

The damage in question (pictured) is pretty minor: a scuff on the bumper, a patch of flaking paint next to the wheel arch, and a dent in the door. The dent in the door doesn't affect opening and closing, or the seal.

I've had estimates from two companies, Chalk Ltd and Cheese Enterprises, let's call them. Both were provided after seeing photos and a quick phone call.

Chalk Ltd is one of those that will attend my driveway. To hammer out the dent, and paint the scuff and flaking paint: £660 VAT inclusive.

Cheese Enterprises: charged £79 and requested loads of quite specific photos. They produced a two page, itemised scheme of work which, per description, seems to involve disassembly of the grille and most of the nearside of the car, then standardising the finish and colour across all the panels. Total price? Nearly £3600.

Have I stumbled upon the Michaelangelo of body shops, or has Cheese Enterprises decided that I am an absolute mug who can be charged whatever they fancy? When I asked if I could have the repairs separately priced, they declined, saying that due to achieving a consistent finish across all panels, it was all or nothing. For three minor bits of panel damage, I'm still just getting my breath back 🤣.

Would love to benefit from those with a bit more wisdom and experience in this arena.

Comments

• Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Without going near the actual numbers, the big difference is the two different ways to deal with the problems.

The first is to just touch each of the three up separately.
    The second is to respray the entire bodyside.

Obvs, the first is more likely to result in the repairs being visible. Is that a problem on a 7yo Golf? Because it's clearly a much more invasive way to repair.

TBH, £700 for three localised smart repairs sounds a lot to me - I've not had a lot to do with 'em, but I'm sure last time I looked it was about a ton per area. Ask around your local used-car places, find out who they use. Remember, all the big-names are franchises. It's entirely possible the GOOD guys don't see the need to pay for franchise marketing...
  • Konkers1984
    Options
    Many thanks, when I went for the second quote, I thought it would be at least rough ball park and even wondered if it would be lower as Chalk Ltd were driving out to me! But didn't anticipate that they'd suggest a full disassemble and respray. Quite frankly, nothing like worth it for a high mileage workhorse that I intend to run until it dies. I also feel like the first estimate is pretty high, but will do as you advise and ask around!
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 429 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

The damage in question (pictured) 
    ???        
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts